Try to ditch a nasty habit this week, then take a stroll through the woods, join a secret society, walk backward with justification wherever you go, and say hey to that neighbor you've been dying to get to know better. Oh yeah, and why not a call a plumber in gratitude? Read on to see why.
• Today: Isn't it nice to be able to take in a deep breath of fresh air? For smokers, this isn't so easy. Use Great American Smokeout Day, a day set forth by the American Cancer Society, to plan to quit or go cold turkey. To get involved with our local ACS, on North Franklin Street in Wilkes-Barre, call 825-7763.
• Tomorrow: Small, big, round, square … Buttons come in all shapes and sizes. Take some time to appreciate the fashion accessory this Button Day. Stop in to Beadweaver's on Bennett Street in Luzerne, a local handcrafted jewelry store that carries a vintage button bracelet.
• Saturday: If you bundle up tightly you can enjoy Take A Hike Day, and why not go with the local experts? Gather your gear to ready yourself for The Susquehanna Trailers Hiking Club Francis Walter Dam hike set for noon tomorrow. For more info contact club president Rich McNulty at 825-7200.
• Sunday: A certain big-eared and beloved guy is having a birthday today … none other than Mickey, nee Mortimer, Mouse. Might be the perfect time to plan yet another Disney family vacation, especially considering Allegiant Air now offers low-cost jet service from Avoca nonstop to Orlando-Sanford.
• Monday: Have you ever really thought about how fortunate you are to have a potty? One in three people on this Earth don't have access to one, and World Toilet Day brings attention to that and the global sanitation challenge. If you know a plumber, why not just give him or her a call just to say thanks today – for doing the dirty work.
• Tuesday: Walk backward everywhere you go. Wear mismatched clothes. Speak Pig Latin. All of this is completely fine, and considered normal, on this Absurdity Day.
• Wednesday: You know that same guy you always walk by on the way to work yet never say hello to? Make it a point to extend a greeting this Hello World Day, when participants greet 10 people on this day for peace. The holiday began in response to fighting between Egypt and Israel and is now celebrated by people in more than 180 countries.