WILKES-BARRE – Two men who blamed each other for fatally injuring another man in an alleged drug deal gone bad are scheduled to stand trial in April in Luzerne County Court.
Judge Richard Hughes scheduled the trial for Breon Judon, 19, and Mitchell Dedes, 17, to begin on April 29.
The trial was previously scheduled to start on April 22.
Judon and Dedes pleaded not guilty to charges of criminal homicide, criminal conspiracy to commit kidnapping and conspiracy to commit robbery.
The two men are accused in the beating death of Aaron Reznick, 29, in Hazleton in August.
According to the criminal complaint, Reznick was found unconscious in the road near 10th and Carson streets in Hazleton on Aug. 4. He died nine days later at Lehigh Valley Hospital.
An autopsy revealed he died from multiple blunt force trauma to the head.
In statements to police, both men said Reznick picked them up with the intent to purchase crack cocaine.
Judon's statement said Dedes became upset after Reznick told him he did not have any money and offered his iPhone as collateral. Dedes pulled a gun and demanded Reznick give him the phone, then ordered him to strip and get into the trunk of a car.
But Dedes, in his statement, said Judon pulled the gun after Reznick gave them the cellphone as payment for the drugs and became angry after he realized the phone was broken.
WILKES-BARRE TWP. – A Feb. 6 preliminary hearing is scheduled for Ryan Helme, 25, of West Wyoming. Police say Helme stole a pair of $65 sneakers from JCPenney, Wyoming Valley Mall, on Dec. 22.
SUGARLOAF – A Feb. 11 preliminary hearing is scheduled for Jeffrey Petry, 50, of Bloomsburg, on a DUI charge. State police at Hazleton say Petry displayed signs of intoxication after a crash on Interstate 80 in Sugarloaf Township on Dec. 21.
SUGARLOAF – A Feb. 11 preliminary hearing is scheduled for Francis Ptaszkowski, 49, of Drums, on a DUI charge. State police at Hazleton say Ptaszkowski displayed signs of intoxication during a traffic stop on Interstate 80 on Dec. 1.