First Posted: 5/28/2013
PLAINS TWP. — The theme for the 2013 United Way Day of Caring is “Operation Dream,” and this year’s dream is huge.
About 622 volunteers representing 43 businesses are helping 34 organizations by performing 34 projects this spring, five of which will be done today. Total volunteer hours will exceed 3,700, providing an estimated $82,000 in value to the groups helped.
“We’re thrilled at the effort,” Bill Jones, United Way of Wyoming Valley president/CEO, said Tuesday. “This year’s projects will have a tremendous positive effect on our community.”
This morning the United Way of Wyoming Valley will hold its “Operation Dream – A Day of Caring and Awards Event” at the Woodlands Inn & Resort. Doors will open at 8 a.m. with a short program starting at 8:30. Jones said the event’s presenting sponsor is Blue Cross and the other Dream Maker sponsors include Sallie Mae, Wegmans and the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins.
Jones said more than 300 people will attend, and after the event the volunteers will go out to complete the community projects.
Jones said United Way still needs about 70 volunteers to help complete 15 community projects. Those interested can register online at www.unitedwaywb.org.
At today’s breakfast, eight community campaign achievement awards will be presented in addition to the following five awards of high distinction:
• United Way Corporate Award (more than 100 employees): Blue Cross of NE PA
• United Way Corporate Award (fewer than 100 employees): The Citizens’ Voice
• Rose Brader Community Service Award: Gary H. Williams
• United Way Sam Bianco Labor Award: UFCW Local 1776
• Sarah & Anthony F. Kane Jr. Achievement Award: Kevin Sickle
The five projects being worked on today:
• Anthracite Scenic Trails Association, cleanup and maintenance. Agency project coordinator is Judy Rimple, and companies volunteering are Blue Cross of Northeastern Pennsylvania and Lord & Taylor.
• Camp Kresge, Wilkes-Barre YMCA, White Haven, general cleanup. Agency project coordinator is Mike McElhinney, and companies volunteering are Air Products and Blue Cross of Northeastern Pennsylvania.
• Camp Acahela, Boy Scouts of America, Blakeslee, preparing camp for summer season. Agency project coordinator, Dave Srebo; companies volunteering, Williams Gas Pipeline – Transco and Mid-Atlantic Youth Services.
• River Common, Wilkes-Barre, cleanup. Agency project coordinator is Ken Osiecki; companies volunteering, PA American Water, Sallie Mae and Mondelez.
* Wyoming Valley Children’s Association, 1133 Wyoming Ave., Forty Fort, spring cleanup. Agency project coordinators are Kathleen Williams and Teresa Romano, and company volunteering is The Citizens’ Voice.