First Posted: 1/2/2013
American Lung Association
• Informational Arena Climb meeting: Jan. 4, 5:30 p.m., Odyssey Fitness, Wilkes-Barre, then every first Thursday in Feb., March and April until the climb on April 6. RSVP: 570.823.2212.
Academy of Northern Martial Arts (79 N. Main St., Pittston) Traditional Kung Fu & San Shou. For Health and Defense. Adult & Children’s Classes, Mon.-Thurs., Sat. First class free. Walk-ins welcome, call 371.9919, 817.2161 for info.
Adult Kung Fu (Kung Fu & Tai Chi Center, Wilkes-Barre: 570.829.2707)
Ongoing classes. Tues./Thurs., 6:30 p.m. Study of Chinese Martial Art open hand, weapons sets. Mon., Wed., 6:30 p.m. Covers Chinese style theories, concepts, applications. Sport fighting concepts explained, practiced.
Aikido of Scranton, Inc. (1627 N. Main Ave., Scranton, 570.963.0500)
• Self-Defense Class taught by Aikido Master Ven Sensei, every Mon. & Wed., 7-9 p.m. $10.
• Traditional Weapons Class, Thurs., 7-9 p.m. $10.
Back Mountain Martial Arts Center & Mountaintop Karate Center
For info, call either location, Back Mountain (4 Carr Ave., 570.675.9535) or Mountaintop (312 S. Mountain Blvd., 466.6474): Visit Website at www.fudoshinkai1.com.
• Instruction in Traditional Karate, Jujutsu, Sivananda Yoga (Back Mountain): Tues., Wed., Thurs., 4:30-9 p.m., Sat., 8:30 a.m.-12 p.m. (Mountaintop Karate Center Mon., Weds., Fri., 4:30-9 p.m.
• Instruction in Traditional Karate, Jujutsu, Sivananda Yoga (Mountaintop): Mon., Wed., Fri., 4:30-9 p.m.
Beauty Lies Within School of Pole Dance (32 Forrest St., Wilkes-Barre, 570.793.5757, firstname.lastname@example.org). Hours by appointment, free sample appointment. Call or e-mail for details.
Dance Contours (201 Bear Creek Blvd., Wilkes-Barre, 570.208.0152, www.dancecontours.com)
• Adult classes: ballet, tap, lyrical, CardioSalsa, ballroom dance.
• Children/teen classes: ballet, tap, CheerDance, HipTech Jazz, a form of dance blending basic Jazz Technique with styles of street dance, hip hop.
• Zumba classes for adults: Tues., 6 p.m., Sat., 10 a.m. First class free.
• Adult ballet: Sat. morn.
Danko’s Core Wrestling Strength Training Camp (DankosAllAmericanFitness.com)
• Four sessions/week, features two clinics, two core strength. 4 sessions/week. Increase power, speed, agility. Group discounts, coaches, teams, clubs, free stuff. Visit website or call Larry Danko at 570.825.5989 for info.
Downtown Arts at Arts YOUniverse (47 N. Franklin St., Wilkes-Barre, 570.970.2787, www.artsyouniverse.com)
• Traditional Egyptian Belly Dance: Wed., beginners 6-7 p.m.; intermediate 7-8 p.m. intermediate. $10. Call 343.2033 for info.
• Tribal Fusion Dance: Thurs., beginners 6-7 p.m.; intermediate 7-8 p.m. $10. Call 836.7399 for info.
• Cabaret with Helena: Sat., 4:30 p.m. Pre-registration required. Call 553.2117 for info.
• African Dance: Wed. & Sun., 1 p.m. Traditional African moves with jazz and hip-hop. $10, registration required, call 212.9644 or visit hipbodysoul.com for info.
Downtown Dojo Karate Academy (84 S. Main St., Wilkes-Barre, 570.262.1778)
Offering classes in traditional karate, weapons, self defense. Mon-Thurs., 5:30-8:45 p.m.; Sat., 9 a.m.-noon.
• Zumba Classes: Tues., Thurs., 7-8 p.m.; Sat., 12:30-1:30 p.m. $5/class. Call for info.
Extreme M.M.A.(2424 Old Berwick Rd., Bloomsburg. 570.854.2580)
• MMA Class: Mon., Wed., 6-7 p.m. First visit free. Wrestling fundamentals, basic Brazilian Ju-Jitsu No Gi. Call for info.
• Boxing/Kickboxing Fitness Class: Mon., Wed., 7-8 p.m. First visit free. Non-combative class.
• Personal Training: Call 317.7250 for info.
Fazio’s Hapkido Do Jang (61 Main St., Luzerne, 570.239.1191)
Accepting new students. Children (age 7-12) Mon./Wed., 5:30-6:30 p.m. Teen/adult Mon./Wed., 6:45-8:15 p.m.; Tues.-Thurs., 6:30-8 p.m. Private lesson also available.
Learn Hapkido. Self defense applications. $50 monthly, no contract.
Galli’s Fighting Chance School of Self-Defense (504 Roosevelt St., Exeter, 570.693. 2091)
• Stranger Danger self-defense classes for ages 7 to 14. One-hour sessions Saturdays at 10 a.m. starting Sat. $40 per student, $20 for parent.
• Beach Body Bootcamp: Mon.-Fri., 6:30 & 8 p.m.; Sat., 1 p.m.
• Bridal Bootcamp: Mon.-Fri., 6:30 & 8 p.m.; Sat., 1 p.m. Bridal party group training, couples personal training available.
• Fitness Bootcamp: 4-week sessions, Mon.-Fri., 6:30 & 8 p.m.; Sat., 1 p.m.
• New Year’s Resolution Flab to Fab Bootcamp: Mon.-Fri., 6:30 & 8 p.m., Sat., 1 p.m. Guaranteed results.
• Private/Semi-Private sessions available, e-mail for info.
Harris Conservatory for the Arts (545 Charles St. Luzerne, 570.287.7977 or 718.0673)
• Dragons’ Tale Karate: Mon., 5:30-7 p.m.; Wed., 6-7:30 p.m. Ages 5+.
• Tumbling: Fri., 5:30-6:30 p.m. Ages 5+. $30/month.
Kwonkodo Lessons – by reservation at The Hapkido Teakwondo Institute (210 Division St., Kingston). $40/month. Call 570.287.4290 for info.
– compiled by Sara Pokorny, Weekender Staff Writer. Send your listings to WBWnews@civitasmedia.com, 90 E. Market St., Wilkes-Barre, Pa., 18703, or fax to 570.831.7375. Deadline is Mondays at 2 p.m. Expanded listings at theweekender.com.