First Posted: 2/29/2012
1st Annual Night at the Races, March 3, 6 p.m., hosted by Sitara’s Karate School at Columbia Hose Co. #3 (149 Jackson St. Edwardsville). $10 donation includes admission, food, refreshments, must be 21+. Winning horse receives $50. Call 570.332.7413 for info.
4th Annual Laugh Out Loud Comedy Show March 30, 7-10 p.m., doors 6:30 p.m., Seasons Ball Room, Mohegan Sun at Pocono Downs. $60 (feat. Silent auction, hors d’oeuvres), $40 (show only, 8:15 p.m.). Cash bar. Business casual dress. Patty Leighton, honorary Master of Ceremonies. Mary Dimino, Liz Russo, Mary Radzinski, Jeannine Luby. Proceeds benefit Domestic Violence Service Center. For tickets/info, call Nina Dei Tos at 570.823.6799 ext. 221.
4th Annual Night at the Races March 31, 6 p.m., St. Anthony’s Parish Center, Exeter. Proceeds benefit 1st Lt. Jeffrey DePrimo Memorial Fund. Info: 570.237.0765.
American Lung Association
• Fight for Air Climb: March 24, Mohegan Sun Arena, Wilkes-Barre. Climb one floor of steps, both up and down. Volunteers needed. For info, registration, sponsorships, visit lunginfo.org/arenaclimb, call 570.823.2212.
Big Brothers Big Sisters
• 30th Annual Bowl for Kids’ Sake: March 24, noon, 1:30 p.m., Southside Bowl; April 21, noon, 1:30 p.m., Valley Lanes. More money raised, more prizes won. Register at bbbsnepa.org. All teams must pre-register. Info: 800.955.4376.
Bloomsburg Hospital 5th Annual Wine Tasting Benefit March 24, 5-9 p.m., Caldwell Consistory, Bloomsburg. $75. Tapas-style dining, dessert, wine, entertainment. Silent auction. Pianist Kevin Haile performing. Info/tickets: 570.387.2099, [email protected].
Candy’s Place (570.714.8800)
• 3rd Annual Night at the Races: March 3, 6-10:30 p.m., Independent Hall (166 South Sprague Ave., Kingston). $25, includes one free horse, all you can eat and drink. BYOB (liquor), Little Caesars, pasta, salad, meatballs, pierogies, wines, draft beers, desserts, basket raffles, 50/50. Call or visit CancerWellnessNepa.org for tickets.
Fundraiser Event to Support Leadership Lackawanna March 25 noon-6 p.m., Quaker Steak and Lube, Dickson City. 50/50, basket raffle. For coupons, contact a member of the Slope Group, call 570.585.9225 or [email protected]. Proceeds assist in restoring Oil House at Gravity Slope Colliery.
Lake Silkworth Area Lions Club 2nd Annual Bowl-a-Thon Fundraiser March 18, 1-3 p.m., Chacko’s Family Bowling Center (195 N. Wilkes-Barre Blvd., Wilkes-Barre). Proceeds benefit Activities Fund, Christmas Food Baskets, Student Scholarships, Eye Glass Programs.
Leadership Offers Laughter One-Night-Only LOL Comedy Night March 3, 7 p.m., Brews Brothers West (75 Main St., Luzerne). $15, at door or 570.446.8992, 610.653.6841. Teri Granahan, Joe Bryan, Jeannine Luby. Chinese auction. Proceeds support World Laughter Day 2012, Festival of Laughs. Info: facebook.com/LeadershipOffersLaughter.
The Renal Race: Race and Raise Awareness for Kidney Cancer 1-Mile Fun Run March 11, registration 8 a.m., race 8:30 a.m. Starts Martz Pavilion Kirby Park, ends Public Square. $12 pre-reg./ $15 day of, tax-deductible donations made payable to: The Renal Race c/o FOP Lodge 36. Info: [email protected]. Sponsored by Fraternal Order of Police Lodge 36. Benefits families and research of kidney cancer.
Short Stack for a Tall Cause-Breathe Deep Northeastern Pennsylvania March 10, 8-10 a.m., Applebee’s Neighborhood Grille and Bar, Wilkes-Barre. $6/person, tickets at door. Flapjack fundraiser to benefit Lungevity Foundation that supports lung cancer research. Info: 570.592.4838.
Spaghetti For Wishes March 3-4, 11 a.m., 7 p.m., Bill’s Sports Bar and Grill (53 Brown St., Wilkes-Barre). $8, includes spaghetti, salad, bread, meatballs, dessert. Benefits Make-A-Wish Foundation. For tickets, call 570.328.5566.
WFTE FM 90.3/105.7 Get On the Air Benefit Concerts
• Jim Carro: March 1, Chestnut Street Tavern, Dunmore.
• Pink Slip Duo: March 3, Chestnut Street Tavern, Dunmore.
• Paul Martin: March 8, Chestnut Street Tavern, Dunmore.
• Camp Kresge’s Annual Spaghetti Dinner: March 27, 4-8 p.m., Rodano’s, Wilkes-Barre. $7/adults, $3.50/under 12. Dine in, take out. Benefits camping programs.
• Zumbathon: March 31, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. $10, $5 with student ID. 2-hour party, silent auction, giveaways, refreshments. Proceeds provide diabetic alert dog to 7-year-old Jayden. Call 570.823.2191, x222, e-mail [email protected].
12th Annual Heat at the Seat Chili Cook-Off March 17, 2 p.m., Country Seat Tavern (Maple St., Montrose). Music by My Own Monster. All proceeds benefit Endless Mountains Medical Care Foundation. For info/to register, call 570.278.9996.
Bank Of America Museums on Us March 3-4, April 7-8. Free access for Bank of America/Merrill Lynch cardholders to Everhart Museum of Natural History, Science & Art. Photo ID/valid credit, debit card needed. One free GA limited to cardholder.
Breslau Hose Co. No. 5 Ladies Aux Potato Pancake Sale March 16, 30, 4-7 p.m. Pancakes only, benefits local volunteer firemen. Info: 570.817.1937.
Browndale Fire Co. (Route 247, 620 Marion St., Browndale, 43fire.com)
• Homemade Pierogi For Sale: donation $6/dozen. Potato and cheese. To order, contact any member, call 570.499.4908, e-mail [email protected], go online.
• Annual Spring Chicken Barbecue: March 25, drive-through only 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Half chicken, potato, vegetable, coleslaw, roll, dessert. $9, from any member or 570.785.5300 or 499.4908, by e-mail at [email protected]. Advance sales only.
Buck Hill-Skytop Music Festival “What is the difference between Classical and Romantic Ballet” Lecture Demonstration, Feb. 29, 7:30 p.m., Koehler Fieldhouse Studio, ESU. Info: buckhillskytopfest.org.
Cameo House Bus Tours (Anne Postupack, 570.655.3420, [email protected], checks to 933 Wyoming Ave., W. Pittston, Pa. 18643)
• Philadelphia Brunch/Art Museum: March 11. Depart Scranton Viewmont Mall, 8 a.m., Sears parking lot near Mexican restaurant; Wilkes-Barre Wegman’s, 8:30 a.m., park row 1 by Applebee’s. Be at least 15 minutes early. Depart Philadelphia, 5:30 p.m. Brunch at Waterworks Restaurant. Philadelphia Museum of Art: Van Gogh Up Close. $150, includes “follow us bus,” goodie bag, water, admissions, tips, brunch, more. Call/e-mail to reserve. Seats assigned as checks received.
Cedar BMX 2011 Awards Banquet March 4, 1-4 p.m., Chinchilla Fire Hall (Shady Lane Road, Clarks Summit). All riders, families encouraged to attend. RSVP to [email protected]. Awards, discuss plans for upcoming season beginning March 24.
Chicory House and Folklore Society ( www.folkloresociety.org, 570.333.4007) events:
• Contra Dance: March 3, 7 p.m., Church of Christ Uniting (776 Market St., Kingston). $9/adults, reduced for families. Music by “Contra Rebels,” fiddlers Todd Clewell, Barb Shmidtt, Henry Koretzky on guitar, calling by Karl Senseman. No partner/experience needed.
Chinchilla Hose Company (Shady Lane Rd., 570.586.5726, www.chcfire.net)
• Annual Pizza Sale: every Fri. during lent until April 6, 2-7 p.m. Red, white, white broccoli. Proceeds benefit operation/equipment. Orders can be placed day of, call.
Clifford Community Youth Group
• 5th Annual Homemade Easter Egg Sale: through March 25. $2/homemade peanut butter, coconut cream. Pickup March 24, 31, 10 a.m.-noon, Clifford United Methodist Church. To order: 570.222.3331, 222.4344. Pre-orders appreciated.
Comedy Stand-Off Wed. in March, 9 p.m. (arrive by 8:30 to sign up), Clarion Hotel & The Hub Lounge (300 Meadow Ave., Scranton). Perform 5-7 min. routine, top 3 picked each week. Top 12 perform April 12, top 5 picked by Scott Bruce for a show, date TBA.
Conyngham United Methodist Church (411 Main Street, Conyngham, 570.788.3960, conynghamumc.com)
• Sisters: Tues., 10 a.m. Beth Moore study, “Jesus, the One and Only.” All women welcome.
• Soup & Devotions: starting Feb. 29, noon. Soup, bread, dessert served each week through April 4.
• March Into Reading Drop-Off: until Feb. 29. New and used books in good condition for ages 5-7.
Dietrich Theater (60 E. Tioga Street, Tunkhannock, 570.996.1500, www.dietrichtheater.com) calendar of events:
■ Kids Classes:
• Quilting for Kids: Wed., through March 28, 3:30-5 p.m. Ages 6+. $6/class.
• Young at Art: Trash to Treasures for Preschoolers: March 1, 10-10:45 a.m. Ages 4-5. $35.
• Trash to Treasures: Ages 5-8, March 2, 4-5:30 p.m.; Ages 9-12, March 1, 4-5:30 p.m. $35/series of 4 classes. All materials provided.
• Trash to Treasures Together: March 2, 10-10:45 a.m. Ages 3-4. $35.
• Little People & Nature: Series 1-March 6, 13, 20, 27, 10-11 a.m.; Series 2-March 7, 14, 21, 28, 10-11 a.m. Ages 2 1/2-5. Free.
• Here’s Looking at You!: March 7, 14, 21, 28, 4-5 p.m. Ages 5-12. Free.
■ Intergenerational Classes:
• Quilting for Everyone: Wed., through-March 28, 6-7:30 p.m. All ages. $6/class. No experience required, all materials provided.
• Open Studio: March 5-6, 12-13, 19-20, 26-27, 7-8:30 p.m. Ages 13+. $50/series of 4 classes or $15/class.
■ Adult Classes:
• Decorative Painting: Feb. 29, March 14, 21, 28, noon-3 p.m. Ages 16+. $20/class + cost of painting surface. Preregistration required, call.
• Pottery & Sculpture for Beginners: March 1; March 8, 15, 22, 29, 7-8:30 p.m. Ages 13+. $60/4-class series. All materials supplied.
• Jewelry Making: Expressions in Fused Glass: March 5, 6-9 p.m., March 19, 7-9 p.m. Ages 16+. $60. All materials supplied.
• Knitting for Beginners: March 6, 13, 27, 7-9 p.m. Ages 16+. $35. All materials supplied.
Doug Smith Music ( [email protected], 570.343.7271)
• March 2, 6:30-8:30 p.m., First Friday Scranton, Old Marquis Art and Frame Shop, Casey Laundry Building, Scranton. Jazz trio.
Eastern Pocono Animal Alliance Spay/Neuter Clinic in need of volunteers, one day/week to check in clients, more; arrive by 8:15 a.m., commit to every week. Positions to help w/ vaccination clinics, substitute desk work. Stop in to office in back of Rainbow Plaza, Route 209, Brodheadsville, visitepaaonline.com, call 570.994.5846.
Entertainment Unlimited Events:
• St. Patty’s Day Spectacular: March 17, doors 5 p.m., dinner 5:45-6:45 p.m., dancing 7-11 p.m., Genetti’s Best Western (77 E. Market St., Wilkes-Barre). $35, deluxe buffet, cash bar. The Poets, Frankie and the Corvettes, The Fab 3 (Beatles tribute). To reserve, call 1.800.830.7463, Genetti’s at 570.825.6477, Klines Shoes at 575.4912 or Joe Tutino at 457.2808.
Geisinger Healthy Cooking Demonstration March 7, 6 p.m., GWV, Kistler Learning Centers 2 and 3 (1000 East Mountain Blvd., Wilkes-Barre). Encouraged to bring healthy non-perishable food item to support community food drive. To register, call 1.800.275.6401, say Carelink or visit geisinger.org/events.
Greater Hazleton Chamber of Commerce events (20 W. Broad St.):
• Red Carpet luncheon to discuss state budget: Feb. 29, buffet lunch noon, remarks 12:30-1:15 p.m., answer/question to follow, Valley Country Club (79 Country Club Road, Sugarloaf). $25/members, $30/guests. Reservations required, contact 570.455.1509, [email protected], sign up at hazletonchamber.org.
Harveys Lake American Legion Post 967 Ham and Cabbage Dinner-Dance March, 17, 7-midnight, 4907 Memorial Highway. $15, no tickets at door. No smoking, 21+. Neon Knights, admission includes band, food, refreshments. Info: harveyslake967.org.
Health Seminar on Breast Cancer Prevention and Detection March 16, registration 8 a.m. Presentation by Susan M. Domchek, 9-11 a.m., Leo Moskovitz Theater, 4th Floor Denaples Center, University of Scranton. Second part, Medical Grand Rounds at McGowan Conference Room, 2nd floor, Ancillary building, Regional Hospital of Scranton, noon-1 p.m. Reservations required, $10/person, checks made out to Komen for the Cure NEPA Affiliate. For reservations call 570.969.6072.
• Animal Care Center currently accepting applications for Spay Day 2012: March 8. Discounted spaying/neutering for dogs/cats. Open to Lackawanna County residents, income of less than $25,000 annually. Applications at johnson.edu, 570.702.8961, on campus at 3427 North Main Ave., Scranton. No phone calls to check on status of applications; personnel will call to set up time.
Keep Wine-ing: He might start to look like Prince Charming March 22, 7:30 p.m., Bartolai Winery (Route 92, Exeter Twp.). $15. Jeannine M. Luby. Info: 570.675.7518, notprincecharming.com.
Keystone College, LaPlume events:
• Quietmen: March 8, 7 p.m., Evans Hall. Traditional and contemporary Irish group. Info: 570.945.8000.
Lackawanna College events (Mellow Theater, 501 Vine St., Scranton, 570.955.1455)
• Yesterday & Today: March 23, 8 p.m. $25-$30, $15/students.
Leadership Lackawanna events
• Annual Alumni Reunion: March 8, 5-7 p.m., State Street Grill, Clarks Summit.
Lehman’s Last Night’s First Annual Rummage Sale April 14, 9 a.m.-2 p.m., vendor set-up 7 a.m., Lake Lehman High School (1128 Old Route 115, Lehman). Indoor space $10, mail check to Lake Lehman School District, 1128 Old Route, 115, Lehman, PA 18627, payable Lake Lehman Last Night Rummage Sale. Include name, address, number, no. spaces. Proceeds benefit Last Night Lock In.
Lyric Consort: “Faith At Work” March 4, 3 p.m., St. Luke’s Episcopal Church, Scranton. $10/GA, students free with ID, reception follows in Kreitler Hall. Info/to reserve: lyricconsort.com, 570.343.6707. Tickets available 30 min. before concert.
Martial Arts Super Sport “Night for the Troops” March 24, 7 p.m., doors 6 p.m., Kingston Armory (280 Market St., Kingston). $30-$75, all uniformed soldiers free. 14 fights. Will Weber, Steve Mytych, T-Rex Harris. 14 fights.
Marywood University events (2300 Adams Avenue, Scranton, www.marywood.edu, 570.348.6211)
• Metropolitan Opera star Stephanie Blythe and Warren Jones: “All American Song:” March 11, 2 p.m., Sette LaVerghetta Center for Performing Arts Auditorium. Reserved $25, GA $5, in advance with credit card or check by calling 570.961.4510 or e-mailing [email protected]. Tickets at box office day of. Proceeds support music scholarships.
Misericordia University events ( www.misericordia.edu, 570.674.6400, box office 674.6719):
• Easter Egg Hunt and Brunch with the Easter Bunny: March 31, brunch 10-11 a.m. or 11:15 a.m.-12:30 p.m. $10/adults, $5/children 5-12, free under 5. Reservations required, call 674.6768.
Mount Airy Casino Resort (44 Woodland Road, Mount Pocono).
• Ramona Singer Meet-and-Greet: March 31, 6-8 p.m., Gypsies. $20. Of “The Real Housewives of New York City.” First 250 get autographed ‘Ramona Pinot Grigio.’ Tasting table. Info: mountairycasino.com, 866.468.7619.
New York CD & Record Fair March 11, 10 a.m.-5 p.m., St. Mary’s Comm. Center (320 Mifflin Ave., Scranton). Free admission. Buy, sell, trade CDs, DVDs, records. Info: nyrecordfairs.com
The Osterhout Free Library events (71 S. Franklin St., Wilkes-Barre, www.osterhout.info, 570.821.1959)
• Open Computer Lab: Mon./Wed., 5-8 p.m.; Sat., 1-4 p.m.
• Knit and Crochet Group: March 3, 17, 31, 10:30 a.m.-noon.
• Learn to Blog: March 5, 3:30-4:30 p.m. WordPress.
• Using your Digital Camera: March 6, 3:30-5 p.m.
• Learn to Use Facebook: March 8, 6:30-8 p.m.
Robert Dale Chorale (570.586.3921, robertdalechorale.org)
• 27th Annual NEPA Bach Festival: March 17-18
• 2012 Safe Haven Calendar available. Send check, $16/each calendar, plus S& H charge of $2/1, $3/2, $4/3, $5/4 or more to: Safe Haven Calendar, RR1, Box 289-A, Effort, PA 18330. Proceeds help SH rescue, care for dogs from overcrowded and high kill shelters.
• Adoption Day: March 18, 11 a.m.-3 p.m., Tractor Supply (Route 209, Brodheadsville). Dogs available to meet and get to know. Pre-adoption application with references, home visit required prior to adoption.
Scranton Cultural Center (420 N. Washington Ave., Scranton, 570.346.7369)
• Thursday Talks! Home and Garden: March 8, 6 p.m. cocktail hour, 7 p.m. show, 4th floor, Shopland Hall. $7. Jerry’s For All Seasons.
Shickshinny First United Methodist Church
• Homemade peanut butter and coconut Easter eggs, milk or dark chocolate: through April 4. $.85 each, call 570.542.7077 or 542.7149 to order.
Slovak Heritage Society of NEPA events:
• Ethnic Dinner: March 4, 2-5 p.m., St. Ignatius of Loyola Parish, Kingston. Take outs, 1:30 p.m. $12, benefits scholarship fund. Holupky, pirohy, kielbasa. To reserve, call 570.779.1694.
• Slovak Stations of the Cross: March 11, 2 p.m., St. Andre Bessette Parish, St. Stanislaus Kostka worship site (666 N. Main St., Wilkes-Barre). Info: 570.823.1222.
St. Clare Church (2301 N. Washington Ave., Scranton)
• “Day of Recollection” for Homeschool Moms: March 10, mass, adoration, talk by Fr. Eric Bergman, lunch, demonstrations. To register, e-mail [email protected].
St. Faustina Kowalska’s Parish Annual Chinese Auction Fundraiser March 18, doors 10 a.m., drawings 1 p.m., St. Stanislaus gym (W. Church St., Nanticoke). To bid, $5/sheet, 25 individual tickets. 100+ baskets. Benefits Youth Group activities. Info: 570.735. 4833.
St. Michael’s Church (corner of Church/Winter Sts., Old Forge, 570.457.2875)
• Lenten Tea Social Fundraiser: March 4, noon. Free admission, tea/refreshments. Learn about non-profit that will serve seniors in nursing homes. RSVP with number of guests to 457.3429 or 457.4351.
• Manhattan Clam Chowder / Homemade Bread Sale: March 9, pick up 1-5 p.m., church hall. $6/quart, $5/loaf, order by March 4. Info: 570.562.1434, 457.9280 or church hall.
• Pierogie Sale: $6/dozen. Orders due by March 9, pick-up 2-5 p.m., March 13, church hall. Call 562.1434, 457.9280 or church hall.
St. Michael’s Ukrainian Orthodox Church (540 N. Main Ave., Scranton, 570.343.7165)
• Pierogi Sale every Fri., 11 a.m.-5 p.m.
St. Patty’s Day Dance March 17, 5-9 p.m., The Regal Room. $20, cash bar. Joe Stankey and the Cadets. All-you-can-eat buffet, ham and cabbage, dessert. Info: 570.489.1901.
St. Paul’s Lutheran Church (474 Yalick Road, Dallas, 570.675.3859)
• Hip-hop artist AGAPE*: March 25, 7 p.m. $7. Will appear with support of congregation, senior youth group.
St. Peter’s Church (Tunkhannock)
• Lenten Soup Suppers and Taize Services: Feb. 29, March 7, 14, 21, 28, April 4, 6 p.m. supper, 6:30 p.m. service. May bring meatless soup or loaf of bread to share. Info: 570.836.2233.
St. Stephen’s Episcopal Pro-Cathedral (35 S. Franklin St., Wilkes-Barre, 570.346.4600)
• Food Pantry open Mon.-Fri., noon-4 p.m.
• Clothing Closet: free clothing for men, women, children. Open Tues., 4-6:30 p.m., Wed., noon-3:30 p.m.
St. Thomas More Society (St. Clare Church, 2301 N. Washington Ave., Scranton, 570.343.0634, stthomasmoresociety.org)
• Jesus of Nazareth-Holy Week Adult Education Series: Wed., through April 4, 6:15 p.m. All welcome for potluck supper, 6:15 p.m. Evening prayer, 5 p.m.; rosary, 5:15 p.m.; mass, 5:30 p.m. Arrive at any point.
Sugar Notch Fire and Hose Co. 1 (233 Freed St., Sugar Notch)
• Lent Fry: March 2, 30, 4-8 p.m. Call 570.829.0280.
Unity: A Center for Spiritual Living (140 South Grant St., Wilkes-Barre, 570.824.7722)
• A Course in Miracles / Holistic Fitness-Yoga Sessions: Tues., 6:30-8:30 p.m.
• Meditation Chakra Clearing Deeksha: 2nd, 4th Mon., 7-8:30 p.m. $8. Oneness meditation, chakra clearing/energization, transfer of Divine Energy. Welcome beginning, experienced meditators, all paths. Info: 587.0967, [email protected].
The University of Scranton events:
• Entrepreneurship Panel Discussion: “The Marcellus Shale- Fabulous Opportunities for Small Businesses and Entrepreneurs:” March 1, 7 p.m., McIlhenny Ballroom, DeNaples Center. Free. Call 570.941.7401.
• “In Recital,” Tim Brumfield: March 2, 7:30 p.m., Houlihan-McLean Center. Free. Call 570.941.7624.
• Schemel Forum Luncheon Series: “Three Major Pandemics: Malaria, Tuberculosis and HIV/Aids: An Overview from an African Perspective:” March 7, noon, Rose Room, Brennan Hall. Pre-registration required. Fees vary. Call 570.941.7816.
Schemel Forum Courses, $60/person, $100/couple. To register, contact 570.941.7816, [email protected]:
• “‘I’m a Big Liar:’ The Films of Federico Fellini:” Mon., through March 12. Film viewing, 5:30-7 p.m.; discussion, 7-8:30 p.m., Pearn Auditorium, Brennan Hall.
• “Occupy the Political Economy: The Financial Crisis and the American Future:” Wed., through March 21, 6-7:15 p.m., Weinberg Memorial Library. No class March 14.
Valley Lodge No. 499 International Buffet March 10, 4-7 p.m., Wyoming Lodge (821 Wyoming Ave., Wyoming). Ethnic dishes, desserts. $7/adults, $3.50/under 12. Info: lodge499.com.
Viewmont Mall (Scranton, 570.346.9182, www.shopviewmontmall.com) events:
• March into Music During Popular Music in Our Schools Month Concerts: March 7-8, 4-8 p.m., Limited Court. Local students singing, playing brass, string, woodwind, percussion.
Waverly Community House (1115 N. Abington Rd., Waverly, 570.586.8191, www.waverlycomm.org) events:
• Ballroom Dancing Lessons: Wed., 7:15 p.m., Comm auditorium. Basic & advanced ballroom, swing. $15/person. For info, call Vince Brust at 489.3111.
• Red Cross Blood Drive to Honor 2 Area Moms: March 3, noon-4:30 p.m.
Wilkes-Barre Vipers Semi-Pro Football (For schedule, visit gefootball.com)
• Field Day: March 3, noon-3 p.m. Public invited to bring kids to play on field with football players.
• March 24, first game.
WVIA (655.2808, www.wvia.org, studio off Rt. 315, Pittston) events:
• Simply Grand Concert: March 4, 3 p.m., Sordoni High Definition Theater. Cellist Alberto Parrini, pianist Fabio Parrini perform pieces by Mendelssohn, Tchaikovsky, Dvorak. Seating free, but limited. To reserve, call 570.655.2808, visit wviatv.org/hi-deftheaterentry.
Wyoming County Chamber Of Commerce
• March Educational Luncheon: March 14, The Fireplace Restaurant. Free/members (1/business), $10/non-members. To reserve, call 570.836.7755, e-mail [email protected]. Featuring Southwestern Energy Company.
Your Dog’s Place, LLC (yourdogsplace.com)
• Luck O’ The Pup Glamour Shots Pet Photo Shoot: March 11, noon-2 p.m. $15 for your sit, down or just wag session and 5×7 print or $20 for 5×7 including digital image. Kristy Boki of Photo Fox Studios. Info: 570.729.8977, 503.6471, [email protected].
Luzerne County Historical Society (49 S. Franklin St., Wilkes-Barre, 570.823.6244, [email protected])
• 2nd Annual Stars of the Valley ft. “Life and Work of Ham Fisher:” Feb. 29, 6 p.m., dinner at Westmoreland Club, $75 person $65 LCHS members, $50 students with ID. $100 patron, $250 benefactor, $500 sponsor (listing in program).
Pennsylvania’s Anthracite Heritage Museum (McDade Park, Scranton: 570.963.4804, www.phmc.state.pa.ust) Open year round, Tues.-Sat. from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. and Sun., noon-5 p.m.
• Charter Day: March 11, noon-5 p.m. Free admission, except to museum’s main, temporary exhibits. 2 p.m., auditorium, Karol Weaver presents “Neighborhood Women: Medical Caregivers in the Anthracite Region.”
Academy of Northern Martial Arts (79 N. Main St., Pittston) Traditional Kung Fu & San Shou. For Health and Defense. Adult & Children’s Classes, Mon.-Thurs., Sat. First class free. Walk-ins welcome, call 371.9919, 817.2161 for info.
Aikido of Scranton, Inc. (1627 N. Main Ave., Scranton, 570.963.0500)
• Self-Defense Class taught by Aikido Master Ven Sensei, every Mon. & Wed., 7-9 p.m. $10.
• Traditional Weapons Class, Thurs., 7-9 p.m. $10.
Ballroom Dancing Class Thurs., 6-7 p.m., Mid-Valley Senior Center, Jessup. $3/class. Taught by certified members of Dance Educators of America Joanne and Ed Samborski. Foxtrot, waltz, swing, rumba, tango, samba, hustle, more. Call 570.489.4415.
Core Chiropractic Center (180 United Penn Plaza, Kingston, 570.718.1672)
• Activating your 12 strand DNA Workshop: March 12, 6:30 p.m. $35, call by March 8. Info: 417.9662.
• Reiki Level 1 Class: March 24, 9 a.m.-6 p.m., pre-registration by March 12. $195, learn history and principles of Reiki. Info: 417.9662.
Dance Contours (201 Bear Creek Blvd., Wilkes-Barre, 570.208.0152, www.dancecontours.com)
• Adult classes: ballet, tap, lyrical, CardioSalsa, ballroom dance.
• Children/teen classes: ballet, tap, CheerDance, HipTech Jazz, a form of dance blending basic Jazz Technique with styles of street dance, hip hop.
• Zumba classes for adults: Tues., 6 p.m., Sat., 10 a.m. First class free.
• Adult ballet: Sat. morn.
Danko’s Core Wrestling Strength Training Camp (DankosAllAmericanFitness.com)
• Four sessions/week, features two clinics, two core strength. 4 sessions/week. Increase power, speed, agility. Group discounts, coaches, teams, clubs, free stuff. Visit website or call Larry Danko at 570.825.5989 for info.
Downtown Dojo Karate Academy (84 S. Main St., Wilkes-Barre, 570.262.1778)
Offering classes in traditional karate, weapons, self defense. Mon-Thurs., 5:30-8:45 p.m.; Sat., 9 a.m.-noon.
• Zumba Classes: Tues., Thurs., 7-8 p.m.; Sat., 12:30-1:30 p.m. $5/class. Call for info.
Everhart Museum (1901 Mulberry St., Scranton, 570.346.7186, www.everhart-museum.org)
• “Everybody’s Art” New Series of Adult Art Classes: $25/workshop members, $30 non-members. Pre-registration required.
• Rosen Method easy movement program, Thurs., 2-3 p.m., Folk art gallery, $5/class, free to members. Must pre-register.
• Early Explorers: Mon., 1-1:45 p.m. Free, suitable for ages 3-5. Pre-registration required, groups welcome. For info, to register, call or e-mail [email protected].
• everhART 101: March 3, 10 a.m.-noon. Grades 5-8 (ages 9-13). Contemporary digital photography. 4 sessions, $16/members, $20/non-members. Pre-registration required, call or e-mail [email protected].
Guitar & Bass Lessons available from Fox Studios (11 Rhine Creek Rd., Drums) Mon.-Thurs. 1-10 p.m. $16 per hour. All ages, all styles of music, all levels. Call 570.788.4797 for info.
Hazleton Art League (225 E. Broad St., Hazleton, 570.454.0092, Hazletonsartleague.org)
• Figure Drawing Class: March 12-April 30, Mon., 4-7 p.m. Call 570.453.1337 for info.
Kiss Theatre Company (58 Wyoming Valley Mall, Wilkes-Barre, 570.829.1901, kisstheatre.org)
Spring/Summer 2012 workshops:
• Footloose: Tues., Sun., 6-8:30 p.m., starts March 4. Ages 12-18. Performances in June. $300, $50 admin fee.
Kwonkodo Lessons – by reservation at The Hapkido Teakwondo Institute (210 Division St., Kingston). $40/month. Call 570.287.4290 for info.
Misericordia University Non-credit Art Classes (50 Lake St., registration required, closes two weeks before start of class, 570.674.6289)
• Vision Boarding: Ages 13+, starts March 8, register by March 1.
• Youth Silk Scarf Painting: Ages 10-15, starts March 12, register by March 5.
• Silk Scarf Painting: Ages 13+, starts March 19, register by March 12.
NEPA Bonsai Society (Midway Garden Center, 1865 Hwy. 315, Pittston, 570.654.6194, www.myspace.com/nepabonsai).
• Monthly meeting last Wed., 7 p.m. Features business sessions, demonstrations/programs/workshops.
Northeastern Ju-Jitsu (1047 Main St., Swoyersville, 570.714.3839, nejujitsu.com)
Open 7 days/week, offers training in Traditional Karate, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, boxing, Judo, Women’s self defense. Group, private self defense classes available by appointment.
Northeast Photography Club ( www.northeastphotographyclub.org) meets first Wed. of month 7 p.m. in boardroom of Prime Med (old Wes Freedman Building) off Morgan Hwy. Variety of topics, monthly contest, guest speakers. Membership open.
Pocono Arts Council (18 N. Seventh St., Stroudsburg. 570.476.4460. www.poconoarts.org)
Ongoing Adult Classes
• Oil Painting: March 1, 8, 15, 22, 6:30-8:30 p.m. $72/members, $80/non-members, $60/seniors. Materials list.
• Acrylic Painting: March 5, 12, 19, 26, 9:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. $110/members, $120/non-members, $90/seniors. Materials list.
• Basic Drawing: March 7, 14, 21, 28, 6:30-8:30 p.m. $72/members, $80/non-members, $60/seniors. Materials list.
• Watercolor Painting: March 5, 12, 19, 26, 6:30-8:30 p.m. No previous drawing ability required. $72/member, $80/non-member, $60/seniors. Materials list.
• Mixed Media: March 10, 17, 1-3 p.m. Ages 4-6. All materials supplied. Both workshops, $45/members, $50/non-members.
Shaolin White Crane Fist (Wyoming)
Teaching traditional Chinese martial arts of Shaolin White Crane Fist, Wing Chun Gong Fu, Yang Style Taijiquan, Qigong-Energy work, Shauijiao-Chinese Wrestling, more. $35/week, first week free. Three levels of training, ages 15+. Contact Master Mike DiMeglio 570.371.8898.
• MANGA Art Class: (Japanese Cartooning) Wed., 4-5 p.m. Learn the art of Japanese cartooning. 4-week session, supplies included: $60 per child. Call or e-mail to register.
Southside Senior Center (425 Alder St., Scranton, 570.346.2487)
• Language Partnership English & Spanish Classes: Fri., 10 a.m. Free, open to all. For info, call 346.0759.
• Ehrhardts bus trip, tribute to Grand Ole Opry: April 10, leaves Center 9:15 a.m., departs Ehrhardts 3:45 p.m. $55, includes family style lunch.
St. Joseph’s School classes (1627 N. Main Ave., Scranton, 570.963.0500):
• Traditional Weapons Class: Thurs., 7-9 p.m. Self-defense techniques using cane, club, short stick, wooden sword, escrima sticks, more. Learn history principles, practical use. No prior martial arts experience. $10/class.
• Women’s Self-Defense Class: Sat., 10 a.m.-12 p.m. Self-defense techniques to protect from variety of attacks. No prior martial arts experience. Wear loose fitting clothes. $10/class.
2&4 Hand Drumming Circle
Freestyle drum circle, every second/fourth Sat., any time between 1-4 p.m., Everything Natural (426 S. State St., Clarks Summit). All ages, newcomers, old timers welcome. Hand drums, percussion provided. Free, no pressure.
Arts YOUniverse (47 N. Franklin St., Wilkes-Barre, 570.970.2787, www.artsyouniverse.com)
Studio J, 2nd floor
• Meditation in tradition of Gurdjieff, Ospensky: Sun., 12-1 p.m., $5
• Children’s Meditation: Thurs., 6-7 p.m. Ages 9-14, $5
• Tarot Card Readings, by appointment. $20 first half hour, $10 additional half hours.
Awakenings Yoga (570.472.3272)
• PrivateYoga Instruction w/ certified senior Instructor of Himalayan Institute. 24 years experience. Learn secrets of Himalayan Masters. Lessons include asana, pranayama, meditation, relaxation, ayruveda, holistic nutrition, tantra. $75/session
Dietrich Theater, Tunkhannock (60 E. Tioga St., Tunkhannock: 570.996.1500)
• Yoga for You: Wed., 10-11:15 a.m. Series 2: through March 28. $60/series of 6 consecutive classes, $15/class. Bring mat or beach towel.
Egyptian Belly Dance Classes with Dianna Shahein. Call 570.343.2033 for various times/locations. Private/group classes available.
Exhale Yoga Studio (900 Rutter Ave., 2nd floor, Forty Fort, behind Beer Deli in the “big brick building,” 570.301.3225)
• Free style Vinyasa: Tues., 10 a.m.-11:15 a.m., Thurs., 2-3:15 p.m., Fri., 6-7:15 p.m. All levels, breathing, aromatherapy, guided meditations. $10/class.
Goddess Creations Shop & Gallery (214 Depot St., Clarks Summit, 570.575.8649, [email protected])
• Tarot Card Readings by Rev. Whitney Mulqueen by appointment. Call.
• Tarot Readings: Thurs., 6-9:30 p.m. at Montrose Inn, Restaurant & Tavern (26 S. Main St., Montrose). $25 for 15-20 min.
• Monthly astrology workshop with Holly Avila: first Sun., $45. Call.
Harris Conservatory for the Arts (545 Charles St. Luzerne, 718.0673)
• Cardio Kickboxing: Wed., 7-8 p.m.; Sat., 9-10 a.m. $5/class. Call for info.
• Hoop Fitness Techniques: Mon., 7:30-8:30 p.m. $5/class. Call for info.
Hoop Fitness Classes (whirligighoopers.com)
• Beginner/Intermediate: Mon., 7:30 p.m., Harris Conservatory (545 Charles St., Luzerne). $5. Call 718.0673 to reserve.
• Beginner/Intermediate: Thurs., 5:30 p.m., Studio 32 (32 Forrest St., Wilkes-Barre) $5.
Kwon Kodo Lessons: Learn self-defense system that combines Korean Martial Arts such as Hapkido, Taekwondo & Kuk Sool. Lessons held at Hapkido Taekwondo Institute (150 Welles St., Forty Fort). $40/month. For info, call 570.287.4290 or visit htkdi.com.
Leverage Fitness Studio (900 Rutter Ave., Forty Fort, 570.338.2386, www.leveragetrainingstudio.com)
• Morning Wake-Up Workout: Full body metabolic, Mon., Wed., Fri., 7-7:45 a.m.
• Primal Scream Classes: Tues., Thurs. 7-8 p.m.
• Inferno: High Intensity Interval Training: Sat., 10 a.m.
All classes free to members, $10 non-members.
Maximum Health and Fitness (310 Market St., Kingston, 570.283.2804)
• Ab Lab with Amy: Sat., 8:30 a.m.; Mon., 7:30 p.m. Call for info.
Melt Hot Yoga (#16 Gateway Shopping Center, Edwardsville, 570.287.3400, melthotyogastudio.com)
• Mon.-Fri., 9 a.m., 5:30 p.m. (90 minutes)
• Tues., Thurs., 4 p.m. (one hour)
• Sat., Sun., 9 a.m., 3 p.m. (90 minutes)
Motivations Fitness Center (112 Prospect St., Dunmore. 570.341.7665)
• Sandstorm Fitness with Rachel “Kali” Dare: Learn various techniques and shed pounds. Call for info.
NutriFitness Boot Camp (311 Market St., Kingston, 570.288.2409)
• Free week of Boot Camp for new members: Mon.-Fri., 8:30 a.m., 5:30 p.m.
• Wirred: Mon., Wed., 6:45 p.m., Sat., 10 a.m. $5.
• Yoga: Thurs. 7 p.m. $10.
• Tang Soo Do Karate Classes: Mon., Wed., 6:45 p.m.; Sat., 10 a.m. Call to register.
Odyssey Fitness (401 Coal St., Wilkes-Barre, 570.829.2661, odysseyfitnesscenter.com)
• Yoga Classes: Sun., 12:30 p.m.; Mon., 7:15 a.m.; Tues., 7 a.m., 5 p.m.; Wed., 8 a.m., 6:30 p.m.; Thurs., 6:30 p.m.; Sat., 10:30 a.m. All levels welcome.
• ZumbAtomic: Lil Starz, ages 4-7: 5:30 p.m.; Big Starz, ages 8-12: 6:15 p.m.
Reiki Classes (570.387.6157, [email protected]) Sessions with Sue Yarnes:
• Beginner to Advanced Reiki at our locations or your home. Hospital endorsed, training for professional Usui Reiki teacher certification available. Call or e-mail for info.
Sandy Seyler Studio (House of Nutrition, 2nd floor, 50 Main St., Luzerne, 570.288.1785, SandySeyler.com)
• New Human Energy Healing Workshop: March 25, 2-5 p.m., House of Nutrition, Luzerne. Receive healing energies. Open to higher vibrations. Group healing. $40. Call to reserve.
■ March Schedule
Yoga: Mon., 6:30 p.m.; Wed., 10:30 a.m.; Thurs., 7:15 p.m.; Sat., 9:30 a.m. Multi-level, beginners and intermediate. Hatha Yoga postures, Pranayam, deep relaxation. $11. Check web calendar for weather cancellations.
Meditation: Mon., 10:30 a.m., Thurs., 6 p.m. Pranayam/mantra meditation. No experience necessary. $11. Check web calendar for weather cancellations.
Sheri Pilates Studio (703 Market St., Kingston, 570.331.0531)
• Beginner mat class: Tues., 5 p.m. $50/10 classes.
• Equipment classes on reformer and tower: $150/10 classes.
• Private training available on reformer, cadillac, stability chair, ladder barrel, cardiolates on rebounder.
Call studio for additional mat class/equipment class schedule, all classes taught by certified instructors.
Spine & SportCare (Old Forge, 570.451.1122)
• Pilates Mat Classes: Mon. 9:30 a.m.; Wed. noon; Thurs. 5:30 p.m.; Yoga Flow: Tues. 5:30 p.m. $10/class, $45/5 classes.
• Small Group Personal Training: Personalized program changes w/ every session, similar to P90X crossfit. All levels, call for details.
Studio Brick (118 Walnut St., Danville, 570.275.3240)
• All Levels Yoga: Wed. (ongoing), 10-11 a.m.
Tarot Readings every Sun., 11 a.m.-5:30 p.m., Shambala, Scranton, located at Mall At Steamtown, first floor outside Bonton. By Whitney Mulqueen. Walk-ins welcome. Info: 570.575.8649, 344.4385, find Shambala on Facebook.
Waering Stained Glass Studio (336 N. Washington St., Wilkes-Barre).
• Tarot Card Readings: $50/first half hour, $10 additional. Appointment only. Call 570.417.5020.
White Dragon Internal Strength Chi Kung (330 Sandra Dr., Jefferson Twp & Scranton, 570.906.9771) Tai chi, yoga, meditation, chi kung, white lotus, pai lum, flowing water, inner tiger. Beginners-advanced. Mon.-Fri., open 6 a.m.-10 p.m. Sat. 8 a.m.-9 p.m. Sun 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Private and group. Any ages.
YMCA of Greater Pittston (10 N Main St, Pittston, 570.655.2255 ext. 104, [email protected])
• Early Tikes Gymnastics: Wed., 9-9:30 a.m. $30.
• Just 3’s: Wed., 9:45-10:15 a.m. $30.
• Twinkie Fitness: Thurs., 5:15-6 p.m., $30. Age 4.
• Beginner Gymnastics: Young beginner (ages 5-7), Sat., 9-9:45 a.m.; beginner (ages 7+), Sat., 10-10:45 a.m.; intermediate (ages 10+), Sat., 11 a.m.-noon. $40/member, $30/family member, $55/non-members.
• Basketball: Beginner (kindergarten, grades1-2), Tues., 5:30- 6:15 p.m.
• Basketball Basics: (grades 3-5) Tues., 6:30-7:30 p.m. $50/members, $40/family member, $65/non-members.
• Basketball and Softball: Tee Ball (ages 5-6), Sat., 9-9:45 a.m.; pre-minors baseball (ages 7-10), Sat., 10-11 a.m.; pre-minors softball (ages 7-10), Sat., 11:15 a.m.-12:15 p.m., $50/members, $40/family members, $65/non-members.
Zumba Fitness Classes
• Mon./Wed., 5:15 p.m.; Sat., 11 a.m., at TLC Fitness Center (bottom of Morgan Hwy., Scranton). $5/class. Call 570.558.7293 for info.
• Adult classes held at Fitwize 4 Kids Tues./Thurs., 7:15, Sun., 11 a.m. on Keyser Ave. across from Keyser Oak Shopping Center Call 348.9383 for info.
Lackawanna Audubon Society
• Bird Walk at Lackawanna State Park: March 10, 8 a.m., meet at boat launch parking lot. Info: 570.575.5293.
• LAS President Bill Speare Presents Highlights from Alaska: March 18, 2:30 p.m., Anthracite Museum, McDade Park, Scranton. Info: 570.586.5156.
Lackawanna State Park (To register go to www.visitPAparks.com, click calendar of events, then Lackawanna)
• Basic Boating Course: March 6, 8, 5:30-9:30 p.m. With PA Fish and Boat Commission. Free, must pre-register, attend both sessions. Call 570.945.7110 or go online to register. May apply for Boating Safety Education Certificate, $10. Info: fishandboat.com.
• Birds in Your Backyard: March 10 (weather date March 24), 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Each participant builds and keeps songbird nest box. $15, includes nest box, lunch. Dress for weather, outdoor observation/walking. To register, call 570.825.1701, go to agsci.psu.edu/backyard/birds.
Nescopeck State Park (1137 Honey Hole Rd., Drums, 570.403.2006) All events free, unless noted otherwise. Reservations required.
• Junior Bird Club: Middle Creek Waterfowl: March 3, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. One-time $5 fee new members. Registration required, call.
• Adult Learning Series: Mammal Identification: March 3, 6-8 p.m. Limited to adults ages 17+. Registration required, call.
• Maple Sugaring: From the Tree to Your Table: March 4, 1-3:30 p.m. Seating limited, call.
• Basic Boating Course: March 10, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Upon completion, may apply for Boating Safety Education Certificate, $10. Info: fishandboat.com. Registration required, call 406.4041.
Salt Springs State Park (Montrose, 570.967.7275, www.friendsofsaltspringspark.org)
To register for classes, call 570.833.4034
• Apple Tree Pruning: March 24, 9 a.m.-noon. $5/members, $15/non-members.
Building Industry Association of NEPA (570.287.3331)
• Accepting entries for Outdoor Theme Project from builders, trade schools, Vo-Techs, Job Corps. For info, call 570.287.3331.
• Annual Home Expo: March 2-4, Kingston Armory. Free parking, food vendors, nominal admission fee. For reservations, booth space, info, call 570.287.3331. All proceeds from Outdoor Theme Project Raffle benefit Ronald McDonald House of Scranton.
Clear 4 Tea Party (clear4teaparty.com)
• Marcellus Shale Forum: March. 3, 2 p.m., Community Library of Lake and Salem Twp. (518 Eastern Turnpike). Mike Narcavage, Brian Oram. Info: 570.862.9104, Clear P.O. Box 503, Honesdale, PA 18431.
Food Addicts Anonymous Meetings (St. Vincent DePaul Church, Scranton: 570.344.7866) Meetings every Fri. night, 8 p.m.
Geisinger Wyoming Valley (Kistler Learning Center Specialty Clinic, 1000 E. Mountain Blvd., Wilkes-Barre)
• Health Failure Education Class: March 7, 10 a.m.-noon, second floor conference room, Richard and Marion, Pearsall Heart Hospital. Call 570.808.7920 to register.
• Empty Arms Support Group: March 7, 7 p.m., sixth floor dayroom, Call 570.808.7920 to register.
• Bariatric Support Group: March 7, 3-4 p.m., GI Nutrition Conference Room, Geisinger Specialty Services (675 Baltimore Drive, Entrance A, Plains Twp.). Registration not required, all invited to attend. Info: 570.808.7920.
Lackawanna County German-American Society (Genetti Manor, 1505 N. Main Avenue, Dickson City, 570.842.4268)
• Annual Spring Festival: March 31, dinner 5:30 p.m., music/dancing 7-10 p.m. $25, includes buffet, music, dancing. Deadline March 24, call 346.9278.
Grief: free six-week bereavement support group (2-3:30 p.m., 6-7:30 p.m., Spiritual Center, Geisinger Wyoming Valley Medical Center, 1000 E. Mountain Blvd., Wilkes-Barre, 570.808.5539)
• Process of Grief & Bereavement; An Overview: Feb. 29
• Caring for Yourself; Recognizing Emotion & Types of Grief: March 7
Nar-Anon Family Group Meetings Sun. 7 p.m. Clear Brook Bldg. (rear), Forty Fort; Wed., 7 p.m. United Methodist Church, Mountaintop. 570.288.9892.
The NEPA Rainbow Alliance ( www.gaynepa.com)
• As part of the NEPA SafeZone Project, NEPA RA is creating an “It Gets Better” video. Video features local representatives from the LGBT community, allies and more offering words of encouragement. To be a sponsor, e-mail [email protected]; to be in the video, visit gaynepa.com for details/application.
Oakwood Terrace (400 Gleason Dr., Moosic, 570.451.3171 ext. 116 or 101)
• Support Group Meetings: third Wed. of each month, 6:30 p.m.
PFLAG (Parents, Families & Friends of Lesbians & Gays)
Wyoming County/Luzerne County chapter
• Movie Night: March 11, 6:30-8:30 p.m., Unitarian Universalist Church basement, Wyoming. Popcorn and Oscar-winning movie about a gay man and his family (Rated R). Info: nepapflag.org, 570.392.9864, uucwv.org.
Pride of NEPA meetings on the second Tue. of each month, 6:30 p.m., The Naked Grape Restaurant (15 N. River Street, Plains). All are welcome. For info visit facebook.com/prideofnepa.
Suicide Bereavement Support Group First/Third Thurs. every month, 7 p.m., at Catholic Social Services (33 E. Northampton St., Wilkes-Barre). Call 570.822.7118 ext. 307 for info.