First Posted: 10/10/2012
American Lung Association
• Fight For Air Walk: Oct. 13, 10 a.m., Nay Aug Park, Scranton.
Steph’s Fall 5K Oct. 27, 10:30 a.m.-noon, Luzerne County Sports Complex (2009 Wyoming Ave., Forty Fort), $20 for 5K run/3K walk. In memory of Stephanie Godri-Johnston, an avid cross-country runner who passed away at 32 this year from, to fund the Stephanie Godri-Johnston Memorial Scholarship and raising colon cancer awareness. Info: stephsfall5k.webconnex.com/registeronline.
Adult Kung Fu (Kung Fu & Tai Chi Center, Wilkes-Barre: 570.829.2707)
Ongoing classes. Tues./Thurs., 6:30 p.m. Study of Chinese Martial Art open hand, weapons sets. Mon., Wed., 6:30 p.m. Covers Chinese style theories, concepts, applications. “Sport” fighting concepts explained, practiced.
Aikido of Scranton, Inc. (1627 N. Main Ave., Scranton, 570.963.0500)
• Self-Defense Class taught by Aikido Master Ven Sensei, every Mon. & Wed., 7-9 p.m. $10.
• Traditional Weapons Class, Thurs., 7-9 p.m. $10.
Beauty Lies Within School of Pole Dance (32 Forrest St., Wilkes-Barre, 570.793.5757, [email protected]). Hours by appointment, free sample appointment. Call or e-mail for details.
Dance Contours (201 Bear Creek Blvd., Wilkes-Barre, 570.208.0152, www.dancecontours.com)
• Adult classes: ballet, tap, lyrical, CardioSalsa, ballroom dance.
• Children/teen classes: ballet, tap, CheerDance, HipTech Jazz, a form of dance blending basic Jazz Technique with styles of street dance, hip hop.
• Zumba classes for adults: Tues., 6 p.m., Sat., 10 a.m. First class free.
• Adult ballet: Sat. morn.
Danko’s Core Wrestling Strength Training Camp (DankosAllAmericanFitness.com)
• Four sessions/week, features two clinics, two core strength. 4 sessions/week. Increase power, speed, agility. Group discounts, coaches, teams, clubs, free stuff. Visit website or call Larry Danko at 570.825.5989 for info.
Downtown Dojo Karate Academy (84 S. Main St., Wilkes-Barre, 570.262.1778)
Offering classes in traditional karate, weapons, self defense. Mon-Thurs., 5:30-8:45 p.m.; Sat., 9 a.m.-noon.
• Zumba Classes: Tues., Thurs., 7-8 p.m.; Sat., 12:30-1:30 p.m. $5/class. Call for info.
Extreme M.M.A. (2424 Old Berwick Rd., Bloomsburg. 570.854.2580)
• MMA Class: Mon., Wed., 6-7 p.m. First visit free. Wrestling fundamentals, basic Brazilian Ju-Jitsu No Gi. Call for info.
• Boxing/Kickboxing Fitness Class: Mon., Wed., 7-8 p.m. First visit free. Non-combative class.
• Personal Training: Call 317.7250 for info.
• Beach Body Bootcamp: Mon.-Fri., 6:30 & 8 p.m.; Sat., 1 p.m.
• Bridal Bootcamp: Mon.-Fri., 6:30 & 8 p.m.; Sat., 1 p.m. Bridal party group training, couples personal training available.
• Fitness Bootcamp: 4-week sessions, Mon.-Fri., 6:30 & 8 p.m.; Sat., 1 p.m.
• New Year’s Resolution Flab to Fab Bootcamp: Mon.-Fri., 6:30 & 8 p.m., Sat., 1 p.m. Guaranteed results.
• Private/Semi-Private sessions available, e-mail for info.
Kwonkodo Lessons – by reservation at The Hapkido Teakwondo Institute (210 Division St., Kingston). $40/month. Call 570.287.4290 for info.
Traditional Hung-Gar Tiger/Crane Kung-Fu The Tiger’s Ark, Kingston. Unlock the real power, learn true meaning behind all martial movements by focusing on development of conceptual body language skills through use of age-old training apparatuses. Training more difficult than mainstream martial arts, done at own pace. Info: 570.817.5070
Wyoming Valley Goju Ryu Karate Academy
• Classes Tues., Thurs. (kids: 5:30-7 p.m.; teens/adults: 7-8:30 p.m.); Sat. (kids: 10:30 a.m.-noon; teens/adults: Noon-1:30 p.m.), Kingston Rec. Center (655 Third Ave., Kingston).Info: 888.328.3218, valleygojukarate.com
Endless Mountains Nature Center: (Camp Lackawanna, Tunkhannock, 570.836.3835, www.EMNConline.org)
• Birds of Prey identification workshop: Oct. 17, 7-8:30 p.m. Free, stewards; $5, non-stewards.
• ‘Mommy and Me: Feathered Friends’: Oct. 24, 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. $4 per child, stewards; $7 per child, non-stewards; free, kids 2 and under.
• ‘Owl Day,’ Oct. 28, 1-4 p.m. $8, stewards; $10, non-stewards.
Friends of Salt Springs State Park (Silver Creek Rd., Franklin Forks, 570.967-7275, [email protected])
• Look at Those Leaves!: Oct. 13, 2-5 p.m.
• Geology in Your Back Yard: Oct. 14, 1-4 p.m. $5 members, $10 non-members
• Halloween Fest: Oct. 27, 4-9 p.m. $5 person; $20 family; members 50% discount.
Greater Scranton YMCA (706 N. Blakely St., Dunmore)
• Senior Citizen outing to Martins Creek: Three miles moderate along Delaware River. Meet in the YMCA parking lot.$5 YMCA members, $8 non-members. Info: 570.343.5144.
• Godfreys Ridge, Stroudsburg Hike: Oct. 21, 9:15 a.m. Meet in the YMCA parking lot.$5 YMCA members, $8 non-members. Info: 570.343.5144.
Hickory Run State Park (1137 Honey Hole Road, 570.403.2006)
Hike with Naturalist Megan Taylor: Oct. 18, 9 a.m. 3 miles, Oak Trail at Nescopeck State Park, uphill and downhill slopes. Meet at park office. Info: 570.403.2006, [email protected].
Nescopeck State Park (1137 Honey Hole Rd., Drums, 570.403.2006)
• Rediscover Nescopeck State Park: Oct. 20, 9 a.m.-7 p.m., bird mist netting, nature hikes, music, storytelling. Oct. 21, 11a.m.-5 p.m., paddling on Lake Frances, geocaching and wilderness survival intros, green building tour, nature crafts, kids’ story time, live bats. Free.
– compiled by Rich Howells, Weekender Staff Writer. Send your listings to [email protected], 90 E. Market St., Wilkes-Barre, Pa., 18703, or fax to 570.831.7375. Deadline is Mondays at 2 p.m. Expanded listings at theweekender.com.