The Big Day with the Big Game has arrived and loads of local bars and pizzerias are offering Big Deals.
Now I know most of us head to a friend's house or host our own party but more and more people are realizing that heading to the corner bar or another place with big screens and cheap (or in some cases, free) food is not a bad option. So for those folks, this column is for you.
The best deal, in my opinion, can be found at Charlie B's Pub and Eatery, 653 N. Main St., Plains Township. It's holding its first Bowl Bash Party. There will be free pizza, wings, side salads, veggies, cold cuts and plenty of giveaways throughout the entire game. There is no charge to attend.
Here are some of the rest of the best deals to be found today at area bars or restaurants:
• Lucky's Sporthouse, 110 Schechter Dr., Wilkes-Barre Township, has $2 domestic drafts, select appetizers for half off and with 28 HDTVs, there's no bad seat in the house. Plus there are giveaways throughout the game. But the best draw here is one lucky winner will win a 40- inch HDTV that will be given away at the end of the game. You must be present to win, so no matter how bad the score gets, stick around.
• Overpour Sports Bar, 279 S. River St. in Plains Township, has a $30 deal for food and drinks during the game.
• TommyBoy's Bar and Grill, 12 Market St., Nanticoke, has all drafts for $1.50 and $5 round pizzas or $5 for a dozen wings.
• Outsiders Saloon, 650 S. Main St., Wilkes-Barre, is charging $25 but you'll get a buffet, pizza, stromboli, subs and Miller Lite and Yuengling Lager drafts starting at 6 and running through the entire game.
• Stan's Caf√©, corner of Hillside and E. Northamtpon streets, Wilkes-Barre, has a free buffet and giveaways.
• Hun's West Side Caf√©, 570 Union St., Luzerne, has a free buffet at halftime and $1.50 Coor's Light drafts all day long.
• Bart & Urby's, 119 S. Main St., Wilkes-Barre, has $1.50 Bud Light drafts and $4 pitchers of Long Island Iced Tea plus specials on tailgate-style food.
• My Lower End, 462 W. State St., Larksville, has $1 for all 16-ounce pints, $1 for select shots, free pizza at halftime and giveaways and prizes at halftime.
• Fishtales Bar and Grill, on Harveys Lake, has $2 Bud Light pints, free snacks and prizes and giveaways.
If you're looking to pick up a pizza or get one delivered, call Vesuvio's in Drums or Wilkes-Barre and mention the Weekender coupon. You'll get $1 off a pick up order or free delivery.
If athletes can sport nice kicks, you should, too. And for less than the ticketed price. So use this coupon at your local Famous Footwear to get 15 percent off your order. There is some fine print on the deal, but not much. Get it here and use it by next Sunday: tinyurl.com/ap3f5zv
If you prefer to shop online, use code NEWYEAR2013 at checkout on www.famousfootwear.com.
Andrew M. Seder, a Times Leader staff writer, may be reached at 829-7269. If you know of any local steals or deals, send them to firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @TLAndrewSeder.