Friday, July 11, 2014





Military ball games will go on


October 10. 2013 3:42PM
Associated Press

Story Tools
PrintPrint | E-MailEMail | SaveSave | Hear Generate QR Code QR
Send to Kindle


(AP) Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel has decided that football games and other sports will go on at the military service academies this weekend, and continue through the end of the month, despite the government shutdown.


Col. Steve Warren, Pentagon spokesman, says that Hagel will reassess the issue later this month if Congress has still not passed a budget to fund the federal government.


Warren says that Hagel consulted with Pentagon lawyers and military leaders. He says the academies could have faced fines if the games were canceled.


Last week the Pentagon allowed the academies to play their weekend games, but officials were not sure future games would go on.


The games are largely paid for with funds that come from outside sources and are not approved through Congress.


Associated Press


Comments
comments powered by Disqus Commenting Guidelines
Poll
Mortgage Minute


Search for New & Used Cars

Make 
Model
 
Used New All
 

Search Times Leader Classifieds to find just the home you want!

Search Times Leader Classifieds to find just what you need!

Search Pet Classifieds
Dogs Cats Other Animals



Social Media/RSS
Times Leader on Twitter
Times Leader on Youtube
Times Leader on Google+
The Times Leader on Tumblr
The Times Leader on Pinterest
Times Leader RSS Feeds