Last updated: January 25. 2014 10:23PM - 4666 Views

Story Tools:

Font Size:

Social Media:

WILKES-BARRE TWP. — A man reported on Monday that he received a credit card in the mail that he hadn’t ordered. After a thorough investigation, police learned that an unidentified individual had contacted the man purporting to be from Target department stores’ fraud department, verified his personal information with him and gave him a call-back number that is on Target’s website.

Police said the phone call did not originate from Target; it was a con artist using a recent security breach of Target’s customer information to obtain his personal information, and the perpetrator opened numerous accounts in the man’s name.

Police caution that Caller ID can be fooled into thinking a call is from a legitimate source; programs are available for smartphones and on computers. They remind consumers to never give personal information such as date of birth, social security numbers, credit card numbers, passwords or answers to security questions to anyone.

And if someone calls purporting that you are a victim of theft, police advise to get a phone number and tell the caller that you will call back. Verify that number with other sources such as law enforcement or the internet. Finally, trust your instinct; if it feels wrong, it probably is wrong.

KINGSTON — Municipal police reported the following:

• After Officer Edward Lewko stopped a vehicle on Market Street for an alleged lighting equipment violation on Thursday, he found that the driver, Terrell Watson, 24, of Wilkes-Barre, was wanted by Philadelphia Domestic Relations. Lewko also found Watson allegedly in possession of 149 bags of heroin and three baggies of cocaine, police said.

Watson was charged with possession of narcotics with intent to deliver, possession of narcotics and possession of drug paraphernalia. He was arraigned by District Judge Paul Roberts in Kingston and jailed at the Luzerne County Correctional Facility on $75,000 bail.

• Officer Robert Miller saw Michelle Urevitch, 23, of Courtdale, operating a vehicle on Sunday and stopped her because he knew she was wanted by Wilkes-Barre Township police on retail theft charges, police said.

Miller took Urevitch into custody and turned her over to Wilkes-Barre Township police. He also filed charges of possession of heroin, possession of drug paraphernalia and tampering with physical evidence against her, police said.

• Richard Donvito, 55, of Scranton was charged Friday with unsworn falsification to authorities and providing false information when applying to obtain a firearm on Jan. 15 at a Kingston gun dealership. Donvito was arraigned by District Judge Paul Roberts and released on bail $7,500 bail pending a preliminary hearing at 1:30 p.m. on Feb. 5.

WILKES-BARRE — Thomas Abreu, 32, of Scott Street, Wilkes-Barre, was arraigned Friday on charges he provided a false name to police investigating a domestic disturbance on East View Drive.

Abreu was charged with false report to law enforcement, resisting arrest, disorderly conduct and public drunkenness. He was jailed at the Luzerne County Correctional Facility for lack of $10,000 bail.

According to the criminal complaint:

Police investigated a disturbance in the rear of a residence on East View Drive on Dec. 27. Abreu initiated a foot chase and was captured in a rear yard on Calvin Street.

Police said Abreu used another name to identify himself.

Police learned Abreu’s true identity, noting he was wanted in New York, the complaint says.

WILKES-BARRE – City police tased a man Friday night during a domestic dispute call after the man chugged an entire bottle of vodka and resisted arrest.

Ryan Hawk, of South Franklin Street, Wilkes-Barre, was charged with disorderly conduct, public drunkenness and resisting arrest.

According to police, they were dispatched to 98 S. Main St. on a report of a domestic dispute.

Patrol officers arrived on scene and were speaking to Hawk and the female involved in the dispute, when Hawk was observed by police opening a bottle of vodka and drinking the whole thing at once. He yelled at police, threw the empty bottle and ran into the home.

When officers entered the home and asked the suspect for his name and date of birth, he said he didn’t have to tell them anything. Officers advised Hawk he was under arrest but Hawk wouldn’t stand up and take his hands out of his pockets. When officers tried to arrest Hawk, he resisted and was tased. Even while being tased, he continued to resist, police said.

Hawk was ultimately handcuffed and taken into custody.

HAZLETON — Police reported the following:

• The driver side window of a 2000 Honda parked in the 500 block of West Green Street was damaged between 4:30 p.m. Friday and 9 a.m. Saturday. Various cards and a wallet were stolen from the vehicle.

• No one was injured in a two-vehicle crash around 10:50 a.m. Saturday at the intersection of Church and Green streets. A 2001 Chrysler driven by Argelia Mateo, 29, of Hazleton was traveling west on Green Street and turned south onto Church Street, striking a 1997 Honda, driven by Dianese Gaetano, 54, of New Jersey, who was stopped in the northbound lane of Church Street for a red light. The Honda was towed from the scene.

• Peter Fairchild, 40, of West Hazleton was taken into custody after he was found passed out behind the wheel of his vehicle around 2:40 p.m. Friday in the 600 block of Garfield Street near Scott Court. Fairchild was highly intoxicated and charges are pending a blood alcohol test.

• The passenger side mirror of a 1993 Ford Ranger pickup truck parked in the 500 block of Wilbur Court was broken between Jan. 17 and 9:30 p.m. Friday.

All user comments are subject to our Terms of Service. Users may flag inappropriate comments.
comments powered by Disqus

Featured Businesses


Info Minute

Gas Prices

Wilkes-Barre Gas Prices provided by GasBuddy.com