Last updated: June 19. 2013 2:04AM - 3053 Views

Story Tools:

Font Size:

Social Media:

WILKES-BARRE — A Hughestown man was convicted Tuesday of all charges relating to an incident where police say he stabbed another man in a Fourth of July fight last year.

Mitchell Lewis Portmess,23, of Washington Terrace, was found guilty of charges of simple assault, aggravated assault, disorderly conduct, trespassing and two counts of indecent exposure after a Luzerne County jury deliberated for about two and a half hours Tuesday. Portmess will be sentenced on Aug. 23.

The jury of six men and six women heard two days of testimony before rendering their verdict. Assistant District Attorney Mamie Phillips requested that Portmess’ bail be forfeited and that he be jailed, a requested denied by Judge Lesa Gelb.

Gelb added a condition to Portmess’ bail - that he be placed on house arrest with electronic monitoring. Portmess was represented by attorney Christopher Powell.

According to court papers, just before 9 p.m. on July 4, 2012, police said Portmess assaulted Brian Delaney during a fight. Police said Delaney was stabbed multiple times with broken glass.

Delaney told police that Portmess refused to leave Delaney’s yard and that Portmess removed all of his clothing before attacking Delaney, according to the criminal complaint. During the fight, Delaney’s lip was slashed, and he was stabbed in the lower back.

WILKES-BARRE – A former Pittston man charged with sexually assaulting a 15-year-old girl in August pleaded guilty Tuesday to a related charge.

Bryant Astles, 35, with a last known address of North Pitt Street, Carlisle, entered the plea to a charge of indecent assault. County Judge Lesa Gelb said Astles will be sentenced on Sept. 19.

According to court papers, Pittston police were dispatched to a Radcliffe Street home for the report of a sexual assault on Aug. 16. Police learned from a 15-year-old girl that Astles had inappropriately touched her on at least two occasions.

Astles will be required to register his address under Megan’s Law when he is sentenced and will undergo an evaluation by the state Sexual Offender’s Assessment Board.

Astles was ordered to have no unsupervised contact with minors and to complete sexual offender’s treatment. Prosecutors said they had no objection to a probationary sentence.

WILKES-BARRE – A Freeland man charged with assaulting a woman and trying to get away from police pleaded guilty Tuesday to two related charges.

Angel Quintana, 22, of Pine Street, entered the plea to charges of simple assault and resisting arrest. County Judge Michael Vough said Quintana, also known as “Macho” will be sentenced on Sept. 6.

According to court papers, On Jan. 5, police were dispatched to Quintana’s Pine Street home for the report of an assault.

Sarah Brown told police Quintana pushed her into a wall and assaulted her during an argument. Police said when they tried to speak with Quintana, he pulled away, pushing an officer during a brief struggle. Officers said Quintana was chased into the home, where he locked himself in a bathroom where he was eventually taken into custody.

Quintana will be ordered to pay $200 in restitution at the time of his sentencing for damage to an officers uniform, and will be required to complete anger management and a batterer’s intervention program.

All user comments are subject to our Terms of Service. Users may flag inappropriate comments.
comments powered by Disqus

Featured Businesses


Info Minute

Gas Prices

Wilkes-Barre Gas Prices provided by GasBuddy.com