WILKES-BARRE — A man arrested during an investigation into the Aug. 24 shooting of two young girls at the Sherman Hills housing complex made a plea agreement on Thursday in a case against him from last year.
Taleek Sistrunk, of North Empire Court, Wilkes-Barre, pleaded guilty to resisting arrest during an incident that occurred on Nov. 18, 2012. Prosecutors withdrew charges of disorderly conduct (engaging in fighting) and the purchase or consumption of alcohol by a minor.
Judge David Lupas sentenced Sistrunk, who turned 21 in August, to 12 months probation and to write a letter of apology to the police officer whose arrest attempt he resisted.
Sistrunk and two other men were arrested on assault charges on Aug. 24 when police stopped the van they were in after they allegedly left the scene of a fight at 91 N. Empire Court. Police say that van fit the description of a van in which a suspect in the shooting of the two young girls two hours earlier left the shooting scene.
Police say Sistrunk allegedly zapped two people with a Taser during the fight at North Empire Court. He is awaiting a preliminary hearing on that assault charge.
WILKES-BARRE — Luzerne County Senior Judge Chester Muroski on Tuesday jailed four defendants and issued arrest warrants for two other people who were found in contempt for allegedly failing to pay child support.
Those who were jailed: Charles Colavito, no address, $13,165; William Moore, Lewis Street, Hanover Township, $900; Charles Smith, Bellus Court, Exeter, $865; and Andrew Chewey IV, Holly Lynn Drive, Hazle Township, $2,645.
Those for whom warrants were issued: Gregory Mantione, Cooper St., Kingston, $795; Glenn Miller, Wilkes-Barre, $22,280.
WILKES-BARRE — A Luzerne County judge on Thursday dismissed most of the requests of a man scheduled to stand trial next week on homicide and other related charges to have evidence in the case thrown out.
Breon Judon, 20, of Hazleton, is charged in the death of Aaron Reznick, 29, of Hazleton, in August 2012. Judge Richard Hughes dismissed requests to throw out evidence and statements Judon made.
The judge ruled that prosecutors will not be able to make mention that Judon is allegedly involved in a street gang, but that prosecutors can mention prior crimes that involved Judon carrying a gun.
Mitchell Dedes, 18, of Hazleton, is also charged in the crime but has pleaded guilty to a third-degree murder charge and is awaiting sentencing.
WILKES-BARRE — A county judge will soon schedule a trial for a man charged in a deadly hit-and-run that left a 5-year-old boy dead.
Judge Joseph Sklarosky, Jr., said at a hearing Thursday he’ll soon scheduled a trial for Thomas Letteer, 23, of Plains Township, who is charged with driving a 1999 Pontiac Grand Am that struck Kevin Miller on North Street in Wilkes-Barre on Dec. 21.
Police said Kevin was holding his father’s hand while crossing the street when Letteer’s vehicle struck him. The family reportedly had just left a Christmas party they attended at a house on North Street.
Attorneys in the case said the trial should last about three days, and that related court papers will be filed within 30 days.
Letteer recently said in a civil suit he is involved in with the Miller family that he was not the driver of the vehicle that struck the boy and that a third party is responsible. Letteer’s response to the suit does not name who the third party is.