Typically on Cinco De Mayo I’d be urging you to make sure you grab a margarita or cerveza at La Toleca but since the venue sustained fire damage last month and won’t be open on what’s typically its busiest day I am proposing a Cinco De Junio.
When the restaurant reopens next month, make sure you support them and then plan on celebrating Mexico’s 1862 victory over the French forces of Napoleon III at La Tolteca a month late.
In the meantime, grab your best sombrero and head to La Tolteca Express, in the Gateway Shopping Center in Edwardsville, today. Or meander over to The Woodlands, which is hosting a celebration today in conjunction with La Tolteca.
Congrats to Francisco Tutella of Wilkes Barre. She was the winner of the prize pack of healthy, tasty snacks from Annie’s Organics. Francisco who was selected at random from the dozens of emails I received last week that qualified readers for the prize. Thank you all for reading the column and entering the contest. I’ll have another contest coming up in a few weeks with another quality prize.
In the mean time, let’s get back to what this column does best, point out ways to save you money by using coupons and matching them with sales at local retailers.
Half off Frappuccino Happy Hour at Starbucks is back. So cool off and get refreshed every day from 3-5 p.m. through May 12. Under the promotion, customers can get half-off the price of any Frappuccino during this two-hour daily time span. So drink up without paying full price.
Healthy eating is a way of life — not my life mind you, but many others — and I know folks enjoy certain brands such as Healthy Choice, Smart Ones, Lean Cuisine and Weight Watchers when it comes to dieting. For others looking into starting a diet, they wonder just how good that “healthy” food tastes. Well one brand is guaranteeing you’ll like their products or you’ll get your money back.
Weight Watchers Sweet Baked Goods line includes varied flavors of crème cakes, including the new red velvet crème cake, coffee cake and chocolate brownie and if you buy them and don’t love them, Weight Watchers will refund your money. Go to TastingIsBelievingChallenge.com for more information and a refund printout page if you truly are not wowed by the taste of the products, which are available at plenty of local retailers and grocery stores.
Remember Mother’s Day is next Sunday so take advantage of gift card offers available this week, including:
- Applebee’s is offering a free $10 bonus card with the purchase of $50 in Applebee’s gift cards. The good part about these bonus gift cards is that they’re good to use the day after you purchase the $50 in gift cards and they’re good through July 1.
- Outback Steakhouse has a free $10 bonus card for every $50 in Outback gift cards you purchase. The bonus cards can be used May 13 through July 15. They’re also not valid until the day after you’ve purchased them.
- Ruby Tuesday is offering a $15 bonus certificate with every $50 in gift cards purchased online only at rubytuesday.com/gift-cards/ The bonus certificate will be emailed to you and is valid for redemption from May 13 – July 15 and for food only, not alcohol, tax or gratuity. It’s also not good in conjunction with any other coupons or offers.
- Longhorn Steakhouse is giving those who buy a $25 gift card a free $5 bonus gift card. Check with the restaurant for expiration details.
- Chili’s has an interesting set up for those ordering gift cards online. Through a partnership with FTD, the floral delivery company, those ordering a $25 Chili’s gift card online through May 13 will be emailed a $10 FTD promotional eCard, redeemable on FTD products at ftd.com/ Also anyone, whether you buy a Chili’s gift card or not, can go to
www.ftd.com/chilis to receive a 15 percent discount on FTD products. And yes, you can combine the 15 percent discount and $10 promo code. Go here for more details: http://www.chilis.com/EN/Pages/giftnow.aspx
So buy them now while you can because they’ll still be great gifts for Father’s Day, graduation and any early summer birthdays you are aware of. Or, just as a nice reward for yourself for constantly saving money by reading this column.
If mom likes a good ice cream cake, Cold Stone Creamery has a coupon in today’s glossy inserts for $3 off any cake. Carvel also has a coupon for $2 off any cake, except small squares, or $3 off any sheet cake.