WILKES-BARRE — Nine grants have been approved by The Blue Foundation of Blue Cross of Northeastern Pennsylvania’s Board of Directors, providing $73,142 in funding to regional nonprofit programs that will serve more than 2,000 individuals.
The foundation awarded the grants to health education and prevention programs in eight counties.
“We’re pleased to be in a position to support such an array of critical health and wellness programs,” said Cynthia A. Yevich, executive director of The Blue Ribbon Foundation. “Without these grants, it’s likely that at-risk individuals may not otherwise have access to the services they need.”
Care for under-insured
• The Luzerne County Community College Dental Clinic will use a $7,000 Foundation grant to purchase supplies necessary to provide preventive dental services to 520 people.
• Palmerton Hospital will provide free mammogram screenings to 95 women, thanks to a $9,975 Foundation grant.
• With $5,000 in Foundation funding, Eastcentral Pennsylvania Area Health Education Center will provide the Youth Mental Health First Aid program to 150 community participants in Carbon, Lackawanna, Luzerne, Monroe, Pike, Susquehanna, Wayne and Wyoming counties.
• In Lackawanna and Luzerne counties, caseworkers at the Catherine McAuley Center will be able to provide 425 hours of specialized health and safety-related support to 200 women and children experiencing homelessness with a $6,737 grant.
• An $8,000 grant will allow the Deutsch Institute to offer an on-site Adaptive Exercise Program to 160 adults with disabilities at four locations in Lackawanna and Luzerne counties.
• The Greater Hazleton YMCA/YWCA will use $8,836 to waive the fee for, and expand, its existing Arthritis Aquatics Program.
• In Lackawanna County, United Neighborhood Centers of Northeastern PA will educate 200 older adults about cardiovascular disease risk factors and prevention with the help of an $8,089 grant.
• A $9,576 grant will enable Wayne Memorial Community Health Centers to extend a proven diabetes self-management curriculum to patients at seven community-based clinic sites in Lackawanna, Pike and Wayne counties.
• With a $9,929 grant, counselor advocates at Women’s Resource Center, Inc. will be able to provide 600 hours of safety planning assistance to 400 women from Lackawanna and Susquehanna counties.
Blue Cross of Northeastern Pennsylvania is seeking nominations for the 2014 Healthy Workplace Awards Program.
BCNEPA is seeking the nominations in cooperation with seven regional Chambers of Commerce and the ChamberChoice program.
The Greater Wilkes-Barre Chamber is accepting nominations for the program. Employers can nominate themselves or can be nominated by a third party. Nominations can be submitted by visiting www.chamberchoice.com and clicking on Services, then Employer Sponsored Health Insurance to download the form from the left-hand side of the page. Nominations can also be submitted by calling (570) 823-2101.