A Nanticoke man and his wife are suing the Kellogg Company after he allegedly swallowed a screw contained in a package of Kellogg’s Rice Krispies Treats purchased at a Scranton-area convenience store.
According to a suit filed Thursday in Lackawanna County Court, William Grabowski, of 109 Loomis St., had to have the screw surgically removed after it became lodged inside him.
A call to a corporate spokeswoman for Kellogg Company, whose headquarters are in Michigan, was not immediately returned on Thursday.
William and Lynn Grabowski are represented by Cefalo and Associates of West Pittston.
In court papers, William Grabowski maintains he bought the wrapped snack on Aug. 20 at a Sunoco convenience store on Northern Boulevard in South Abington Township.
According to the suit, Grabowski “Swallowed the hidden screw embedded in the Rice Krispies Treat Bar.” It then “became lodged in his esophagus, moved into his stomach and then moved into his duodenum,” causing injury.
The duodenum is the upper section of the small intestine.
Grabowski required emergency room treatment and surgery to remove the screw, according to the suit.
Court documents do not indicate how large the screw was.
The suit does not indicate how much Grabowski, a truck driver, is seeking, but says he did lose “some income” due to the incident.