Last updated: January 12. 2014 11:41PM - 1802 Views
Times Leader staff

Story Tools:

Font Size:

Social Media:
More Info:


All appointments must be made by calling 570-825-0968.

The Commission on Economic Opportunity and the Luzerne County Free File Tax Coalition will work from these locations:

• The Wilkes-Barre Mega Center (old Automobile City), 206 Carey Ave., Wilkes-Barre

• Greater Wilkes-Barre Association for the Blind, 1825 Wyoming Ave., Exeter

• Luzerne County Community College-Conference Center room 114, 1333 S. Prospect St., Nanticoke

• Commission on Economic Opportunity-Hazleton, 100 W. Broad St., Hazleton

There’s free tax-filing help for those who make less than $52,000 a year in Luzerne County.

The Commission on Economic Opportunity, working with the Luzerne County Free File Tax Coalition, will begin helping folks prepare tax forms starting Wednesday at several locations. Some locations have changed from last year.

Volunteers, working through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program, will meet with taxpayers by appointment only.

Certified by the IRS, the volunteers can help taxpayers identify tax credits for which they may be eligible, including the earned-income tax credit, child tax credit and credit for the elderly or the disabled.

Volunteers cannot prepare complicated tax returns, and they may refer some to professional preparers that charge a fee for their services.

The commission advises those filing to be patient when making an appointment. The program historically has been popular, but volunteers are to return all calls as soon as possible.

Starting Wednesday, taxpayers may call 570-825-0968 to make an appointment.

Those planning on using the service should have the following documents ready before making an appointment:

• Photo identification

• Social Security cards for you, your spouse and all dependents; or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number for you, your spouse and dependents.

• Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents

• Wage earnings statements in the form of W-2s or 1099s from all employers

• Interest and dividend earnings statements

• A copy of last year’s federal and state income tax returns

• Proof of bank account and routing numbers; a blank check has this information.

• Proof of money paid to daycare provider

• If filing jointly with a spouse, both must be present to sign the required forms.

For those planning to file for property/rent rebates, be sure to bring:

• Copy of 2012 rebate records

• 2013 property-tax receipts or rent receipts

All user comments are subject to our Terms of Service. Users may flag inappropriate comments.
comments powered by Disqus

Featured Businesses


Info Minute

Gas Prices

Wilkes-Barre Gas Prices provided by GasBuddy.com