WILKES-BARRE — City Council this week will be asked to void three applications approved last month for projects seeking millions in gambling funds from the state and submit new paperwork with the exact costs.
The agenda for Tuesday night’s work session includes authorizations by council to rescind the resolutions approved Dec. 19 and prepare new applications for $3.6 million in Local Share Account grants issued through the Commonwealth Financing Authority. Following discussion at the work session, the items will be placed on the agenda for Thursday night’s council meeting.
The grants, if approved by the state, would pay to upgrade the wireless camera surveillance network operated by Hawkeye Security Solutions, retrofit the floodgates for bridges over Solomon Creek and renovate the track and field at Kirby Park.
Drew McLaughlin, city municipal affairs manager, described the paperwork shuffle as “housekeeping” to update the projects’ costs with information that was not available when council authorized the applications last month.
“They haven’t changed significantly from the rough numbers that were provided in December,” McLaughlin said Friday. The projects’ scopes remain the same.
All of them have been qualified to be considered for funding, McLaughlin said.
The city is seeking $765,000 for the floodgates, $1.3 million for the camera surveillance system and $1.5 million for the Kirby Park track and field renovations.
The CFA could partially fund the projects and as a result the city would have to come up with additional money, McLaughlin said.
Traditionally the awards are announced sometime in March and notice of award of contracts to do the work is made sometime in the summer, he explained.