Quantcast


Last updated: January 31. 2014 11:53PM - 4423 Views
By - elewis@civitasmedia.com



Story Tools:

Font Size:

Social Media:

ASHLEY — The Foreign Coal Dumphouse or retail building at the Huber Breaker came crashing down Thursday, erasing the last remaining structures of mining history in the Wyoming Valley.


Demolition crews have been working at the Huber Breaker site since a federal bankruptcy judge awarded the property to be sold to Paselo Logistics for $1.25 million in August. Paselo is billed as a trucking company in Philadelphia.


The main conveyor from the Foreign Coal Dumphouse to the Huber Breaker was dismantled about two weeks ago.


According to the Historic American Engineering Record of the National Park Service, the breaker was built in 1938 and began operations in February 1939.


The Huber was once known as the most modern design and operations of any breaker in the United States. It was erected by the Glen Alden Coal Company on the site of an old wooden breaker called The Maxwell.


The Huber processed up to 7,000 tons of anthracite coal per day, and featured a coal washing plant circulating water at a rate of 8,200 gallons per minute.


Operations at the Huber ceased in 1976.


A court document filed in bankruptcy court in October stated it would cost $1.057 million to remove all the structures and contaminated soil from the property.


 
Comments
All user comments are subject to our Terms of Service. Users may flag inappropriate comments.
comments powered by Disqus



Featured Businesses


Poll



Info Minute



Gas Prices

Wilkes-Barre Gas Prices provided by GasBuddy.com