Last updated: March 25. 2013 11:30PM - 2317 Views
By - elewis@civitasmedia.com - (570) 991-6116

Story Tools:

Font Size:

Social Media:

SUGAR NOTCH – The streets of Sugar Notch became a speedway Saturday night when police began pursuit of a pick-up truck allegedly traveling in excess of 65 mph, a chase that crossed four municipalities and ended shortly after the truck crashed into a police cruiser in Wilkes-Barre, according to charges filed.

Police said Andrew Lee Dunn, 27, of Wilson Street, operating a Ford Ranger, failed to stop for police on Main Street just after 6 p.m. Dunn turned onto Chestnut Street and Woodland Road at speeds in excess of 65 mph, police said.

The pursuit that spanned four municipalities ended after Dunn crashed into a Wilkes-Barre Township police cruiser on Brown Street in Wilkes-Barre. Dunn was apprehended when he abandoned the Ford and attempted to run away in the area of Hazle Avenue and West Liberty Street in Hanover Township, police said.

It was not the first time Dunn was accused of running from police.

Court records say Dunn was sentenced in Luzerne County Court in December 2005 to one-year probation for leading Kingston police on a car chase in May 2005.

Dunn was arraigned by District Judge Joseph Halesey in Hanover Township on charges of fleeing or attempting to elude authorities, reckless endangerment, resisting arrest, driving under the influence, driving with a suspended license, reckless driving, careless driving and speeding. He remained jailed Monday at the county correctional facility for lack of $10,000 bail.

According to the criminal complaint:

Officer Joseph Wildes attempted to stop Dunn for speeding on Main Street, Sugar Notch, just after 6 p.m. Dunn turned onto side streets that have speed limits of 15 mph while traveling in excess of 65 mph in residential neighborhoods.

Dunn turned back onto Main Street and state Route 29, Interstate 81 and exited the highway in Wilkes-Barre Township, where he turned onto Nicholson Street and Prospect Street at a high rate of speed, the complaint says.

Police from Wilkes-Barre Township, Wilkes-Barre and Hanover Township assisted during the pursuit on Blackman, Brown, Stanton, High and Hickory streets, Wilkes-Barre Boulevard and Hazle Avenue.

During the chase, Dunn crossed through the parking lot of the Mamary Durkin Funeral Home and crashed into a Wilkes-Barre Township police cruiser on Brown Street in Wilkes-Barre, according to the complaint.

The pursuit ended with Dunn’s arrest after he abandoned the Ford when he crashed into a fence at Hazle Avenue and West Liberty Street in Hanover Township, police said.

Dunn allegedly told police he attempted to escape because he did not have a driver’s license. Police allege in the complaint Dunn displayed signs of intoxication and was transported to Wilkes-Barre General Hospital for a blood test.

No injuries were reported.

A preliminary hearing is scheduled for April 2 before Halesey.

All user comments are subject to our Terms of Service. Users may flag inappropriate comments.
comments powered by Disqus

Featured Businesses


Info Minute

Gas Prices

Wilkes-Barre Gas Prices provided by GasBuddy.com