Clyde Tonkin, 30, had been convicted earlier this week in sexual assault case.

Last updated: April 20. 2013 12:34AM - 6737 Views
By - elewis@civitasmedia.com - (570) 991-6116

Story Tools:

Font Size:

Social Media:
More Info:

Local cops work with feds

Clyde Tonkin was being sought by the U.S. Marshals Service Fugitive Task Force for failing to appear for trial, U.S. Marshal Martin J. Pane said in a press release.

Marshals with the task force actually conducted the arrest of Tonkin in Exeter and they turned him over to local police for processing, Pane said.

Pane said Tonkin was found guilty of the following charges:

• Statutory Sexual Assault — 1 count

• Aggravated Indecent Assault — 1 count

• Indecent Assault person less 16 years old — 2 counts

• Deviate Sexual Intercourse person less than 16 years old — 6 counts

• Sexual Assault — 2 counts

EXETER — A man convicted in absentia earlier this week on charges of sexually assaulting a girl was captured late Thursday night, police said.

Clyde Tonkin, 30, was apprehended when he was driven to the Turkey Hill on Wyoming Avenue at about 11 p.m., said police Sgt. Len Galli.

Tonkin, of Main Street, Jenkins Township, was a no-show at his trial earlier this week, at which a Luzerne County jury convicted him of sexual assault in 2011 of a now 14-year-old girl.

Tonkin cut off an ankle bracelet Sunday night and failed to appear in court for jury selection on Monday. The trial continued without him on Tuesday.

Jurors took less than 10 minutes to convict Tonkin, who faces a maximum of 20 years in prison.

Assistant District Attorney Nancy Violi, who prosecuted the case, said Friday she had not yet spoken to the 14-year-old girl or her family about Tonkin’s capture, but said she is glad he is in custody. “We want him held accountable for his actions,” Violi said.

Galli said Friday that police learned Tonkin was in the area and set up an undercover investigation to lure him to the Turkey Hill. “We used a citizen and an undercover (officer) to set up a meet,” he said.

Tonkin was picked up in Exeter Township and driven to the Turkey Hill, where he was captured without incident, Galli said. Tonkin told police he had been staying outside on Exeter Mountain for the past several days, Galli said.

Tonkin is facing escape-related charges. He was jailed at the county correctional facility.

Times Leader staff writer Sheena Delazio contributed to this report.

All user comments are subject to our Terms of Service. Users may flag inappropriate comments.
comments powered by Disqus

Featured Businesses


Info Minute

Gas Prices

Wilkes-Barre Gas Prices provided by GasBuddy.com