Last updated: July 26. 2014 12:07AM - 1323 Views

Story Tools:

Font Size:

Social Media:

WILKES-BARRE — City police reported the following:

• The construction supervisor for Leeward Construction reported just before 4 p.m. Friday the theft of steel H Piles/steel I-beams from the Sydney Street Bridge project. The supervisor told police the theft occurred sometime between 6 p.m. Wednesday and 7 a.m. Thursday. An investigation is continuing.

• A Hunlock Creek man faces charges after he allegedly gave a false name to police during a traffic stop.

Officers conducted a traffic stop on a red Ford Freestyle for allegedly failing to stop for a red traffic signal at Public Square and South Main Street on Friday afternoon.

Police said the driver, who did not have any photo ID on him, allegedly identified himself as Kyle Redmond.

The Social Security number that the operator provided did not match that of Kyle Redmond, and police advised the driver that he must give his correct name when being investigated.

The driver was asked again what his name was and he stated that it was Joseph Redmond.

Redmond was arrested, transported to police headquarters, processed and released. He was charged with providing false identification to law enforcement, police said.

• Police said a man didn’t know where he was when they woke him on someone else’s front porch.

Officers were dispatched to Jones Street at 9:47 p.m. Thursday for a report of an intoxicated male who was “passed out” on the caller’s front porch.

Upon arrival, police encountered a man sleeping on the front porch. The officers had to physically move the man in order to wake him, police said.

A short time later, the man, later identified as Paul Knecht, woke up and asked “Where am I?” police said.

Police said Knecht had a strong odor of an alcoholic beverage on his breath. When officers asked Knecht to stand up, he was unable to do so without assistance. He also had glossy eyes and slurred speech when he tried to give officers his information, police said.

Knecht, of Loomis Street, Wilkes-Barre, was taken into custody and transported to police headquarters, where he was cited with public drunkenness, police said.

• A Gates Street woman reported on Thursday night that several jewelry items had been stolen from her home.

• Police said an 89-year-old man was scammed out of $2,000 Thursday afternoon, but he put his foot down after the con artist tried to get another $3,000 from him.

Police said the man, who lives in the 500 block of North Franklin Street, told them he received a phone call at 9:45 a.m. from an unknown person stating the man’s grandson was involved in a accident and needed $2,000 in bail money or he was going to jail.

The man went to CVS near the Wyoming Valley Mall, purchased $2,000 in Pay Pal cards and went home. He then received a second phone call and gave the unknown suspect the PIN numbers off the cards, police said.

A short time later, the man received another call from the suspect asking for $3,000. This time, the man refused, police said.

An investigation continues.

• Residents of a Willow Street home reported returning home Thursday night and finding an open door that they said was secure before they left that afternoon. Although there was no sign of forced entry, the residents told police some items inside the home appeared to have been touched and/or moved. An overnight visitor at the house reported that a 40-caliber silver Ruger handgun with a black handle was taken. An investigation continues.

• Officers were dispatched to 151 George Ave. on Wednesday night for a report of a woman across the street yelling obscene language at several adults and children in the area.

Officers spoke to the caller and another family down the street, and they all stated that the woman, identified as Mikel Zavel, of George Avenue, allegedly came out of her residence on George Avenue and started yelling obscene language at them for no apparent reason.

Police said Zavel had been advised by officers a few days earlier to stop yelling obscene language at people walking down the street.

Police said citations were filed in this matter.

• A woman was arrested Wednesday evening after police noticed her staggering in public.

Police said they observed a woman, identified as Deborah Zajaczkowski, of Meshoppen, with a staggered gait as she was walking near Crown Fried Chicken at Academy and South Main streets.

When officers asked if she was alright, Zajaczkowski told them she had used methadone and was “a little shaky,” police said, adding that she was “very nervous.”

Police said they asked Zajaczkowski if she was wanted, and she told them she might have a warrant out of Georgia.

Police confirmed that she did have an outstanding arrest warrant out of Georgia, but it was not extraditable. Officers then asked Zajaczkowski if she had anything illegal inside her purse, and she told them she did not. Officers asked if they could look, and she agreed, police said. Police said they found three hypodermic needles in the purse.

Zajaczkowski was arrested and transported to Wilkes-Barre police headquarters, where she was processed and released. A charge of possession of drug paraphernalia will be filed, police said.

All user comments are subject to our Terms of Service. Users may flag inappropriate comments.
comments powered by Disqus

Featured Businesses


Info Minute

Gas Prices

Wilkes-Barre Gas Prices provided by GasBuddy.com