At $1.1 million in wine and spirit purchases between July 1, 2012 and June 30, 2013, Mohegan Sun at Pocono Downs ranked first in Luzerne County and fifth in the state. A review of the top liquor purchasers in some adjoining counties shows just how much the casino buys by comparison.
In northern neighbor Wyoming County, Shadowbrook Inn and Resort in Tunkhannock was the top purchaser last retail year at $49,152. That total wouldn’t even rank in the top 15 in Luzerne County. And the top 10 liquor and wine purchasers in all of Wyoming County over that 12-month span is less than one-third of what the casino spent on booze in that same time frame.
In Columbia County, to the west of Luzerne, liquor purchases are higher than Wyoming but still pales in comparison to the casino. The top 10 buyers in Columbia — led by Chumley’s Bar and Grill in Bloomsburg at $111,519 — totalled $533,304. That’s less than half the amount the casino paid in wine and spirits over that same time frame.
Lackawanna County, which also share Luzerne’s northern border, is much more populous than Wyoming and Columbia and its liquor and wine purchases show.
Five of Lackawanna County’s top 10 wine and liquor buyers spent in excess of $100,000 from July to June though even the top buyer — Mulligan’s along Linden Street, which spent $156,994 — wouldn’t have ranked in Luzerne County’s top three.
The rest of Lackawanna County’s top five are:
• State Street Grill, Clarks Summit: $120,336
•Radisson Lackawanna Station, Scranton: $120,202
•Olive Garden, Dickson City: $105,895
• Posh at the Scranton Club, Scranton: $103,375
The top five in Wyoming County:
• Shadowbrook Inn and Resort, Tunkhannock: $49,152
• Stone Hedge Country Club, Factoryville: $44,825
• Lake Carey Inn, Lake Carey: $40,361
• Gin’s in Factoryville: $36,177
• Table Rock Hotel, Laceyville: $35,970
The top five in Columbia County:
• Chumley’s Bar and Grill, Bloomsburg: $111,519
• The Inn at Turkey Hill, Bloomsburg: $93,557
• Bandit’s Roadhouse, Berwick: $69,546
• Good Old Days Tavern, Bloomsburg: $69,432
• Harry’s Grill, Bloomsburg: $63,286