WRIGHT TWP. — The Crestwood School Board made quick work Thursday of approving a $4.5 million bond issue to be used for improving and renovating school district facilities.
With seven of nine directors in attendance, the board voted 7-0 to authorize a series of general obligation bonds to finance a series of projects are under consideration by the administration.
It was stated that representatives of the Royal Bank of Canada — RBC — have been retained as bond financial advisors.
The proposed bond issue was announced at the March 16 meeting with the stated purpose of financing the planning and design of the projects, as well as securing capital equipment.
Besides the bond, the board also approved a $185,939 project by Zones Advanced Solution Group for the installation of computer network hardware and cabling to facilitate digital content for learning and upgrade security.
In addition, following a recommendation by the Financial Planning Committee, the board also approved refunding a series of real estate tax overpayments that totaled over $66,000 to TFP Limited of 1140 Highway 315, Wilkes-Barre, that date from school years 2013 through 2016. The refunds are for property owned by TFP in Dorrance Township, including the Blue Ridge Trail Golf Club.
In other matters, the board:
• Amended the 2016-17 school calendar to move commencement from June 2 to June 12 because of weather factors.
• In conjunction with the calendar changes, approved adding June 14 and June 15 as “Teacher Days” to complete 185 days of instruction under the collective bargaining agreement.
• Acted unanimously to designate the high school in 2017-18 as the Crestwood Secondary Campus.
• Approved the payment of $6,954 to the Wright Township Police Department for DARE Program instructors at the Rice and Fairview elementary schools.
• Heard a detailed report by Kevin Seyer, principal of the Rice school, on the continuing achievement by Crestwood students participating in the “Odyssey of the Mind” program.
Reach the Times Leader newsroom at 570-829-7242 or on Twitter @TLnews.