Making your own bookmark is easy, and it can be fun to use at school or home. It also can be given as a special gift.
What you will need:
A piece of white paper or construction paper; a pencil; scissors; hole punch; ribbon or string; and decorating supplies such as markers, crayons, paint, glitter, glue, stickers, cut out magazine pictures, and/or contact paper.)
• To start, take your paper and cut it into a strip or shape that you’d like your bookmark to be. The most commonly used is 11 1/2 inches long and 3 1/2 inches wide.
• Once the shape is cut out, you can start decorating it using whatever items and supplies you choose—cut out pictures, drawings or inspiring words. You can make it sports-themed with pictures of athletes or use pictures of your favorite television stars. Be creative and have fun. If you’d like, you can decorate both sides.
• While decorating, keep in mind that you will be punching a hole an inch down from the top and centering it later on. You can use this area, but don’t put any words or faces where the hole will be.
• When you are certain you are finished decorating, cover your bookmark with contact paper (optional). By doing this, it will keep your bookmark wrinkle free and water resistant. You may need an adult’s help using contact paper.
• Use your hole punch to make the hole mentioned in step three. Punch it centered, an inch down from the top. Then, use a small piece of ribbon or string to make a “tail” or bow by tying it through the hole. The tail or bow will hang outside the book, keeping your place.