WILKES-BARRE — Double-homicide suspect Hugo Selenski is due in Luzerne County Court next week for a hearing in connection with a private investigator’s demand for money he is owed in the case.
Judge Fred A. Pierantoni III has approved a transport order authorizing Selenski to be brought to Wilkes-Barre from the State Correctional Institution at Mahanoy for a 1 p.m. hearing on Jan. 17.
James Sulima, owner of JS Investigator and Consulting, wrote a letter to Selenski’s co-defense lawyer, Edward Rymsza, indicating he is owed $10,466.74 for investigative tasks. Sulima noted he would like to continue working on the case but will stop unless Pierantoni authorizes payment to him.
Rymsza filed Sulima’s letter and a request for payment in county court last week.
Pierantoni scheduled Selenski’s trial to begin in March. Selenski’s trial has often been delayed since he was charged in May 2006 with the killings of Michael Kerkowski and Tammy Fassett in May 2002.
WILKES-BARRE — An admitted burglar who was not supposed to have guns was acquitted on weapons possession charges Wednesday after a trial in Luzerne County Court.
Mark Roger Sult, 29, of Shickshinny, was found not guilty by jurors on two counts of possession of firearms prohibited after more than two hours of deliberations.
According to court documents, on Jan. 3, 2012, state police received a complaint from the father of Sult’s girlfriend that Sult brought a loaded rifle into his home on Dec. 30, 2011. The homeowner told police he asked Sult to leave, and to take with him another rifle he had left there about six months previously.
Troopers said Sult pleaded guilty to a burglary charge in county court on July 21, 2006, and therefore was not permitted to possess guns. State police said they recovered the two rifles from Sult’s home the following day.
Sult was represented at trial by attorney Anthony Moses.
Despite his acquittal, Sult remains incarcerated at the county prison while several other cases are pending, including accusations of driving without a license, resisting arrest, receiving stolen property, theft and drug charges.
Sult is on the trial list for Monday, according to papers filed by Judge Fred A. Pierantoni III.
WILKES-BARRE — A Scranton woman accused of making $5,000 in purchases using a credit card stolen from a woman in Kingston last January pleaded guilty Tuesday in Luzerne County Court.
Emilia Policare, 26, made the admission before Judge Richard M. Hughes III, who sentenced her to two years’ probation in that case.
According to a police affidavit, the card was reported missing by a woman who said Policare had been helping care for her mother. The woman said records showed the card was used 37 times in January and February at locations in Lackawanna County she doesn’t visit, totalling $5,010 in purchases including gas, meals and a body piercing. The woman said $375 in cash was missing along with the card.
Policare also must pay back the woman and the credit card company, the judge ruled.