WILKES-BARRE — A man once considered a suspect in the disappearance of a New York City boy 34 years ago has been ordered to appear as a witness at the trial of another man who has been charged in the slaying of Etan Patz.
Jose A. Ramos, 70, who remains incarcerated in connection with an alleged Megan’s Law violation, has been labeled a material witness in the case of Pedro Hernandez, 51, who stands accused of killing the six-year-old boy.
Luzerne County Judge David W. Lupas on Friday approved an order filed by New York Supreme Court for Ramos to appear at the trial, which is schedule to begin April 23 in New York. The request came from Hernandez’ New York attorney, Harvey Fishbein.
Ramos’ local attorney, Tom Marsilio, told The Times Leader he did not believe his client’s appearance would be very useful to Hernandez’ case.
“He doesn’t know the defendant. He doesn’t know where he is,” Marsilio said.
Ramos had been dating the boy’s babysitter.
Ramos was arrested Nov. 7, 2012 for allegedly giving a false address as a sex offender, just minutes after he was released from the State Correctional Institution at Dallas, where he completed a 27-year sentence for molesting children in Erie County, Pa. A trial in that case is set for Nov. 25.