Sunday, July 13, 2014





3 die from carbon monoxide poisoning


February 19. 2013 11:36PM
Story Tools
PrintPrint | E-MailEMail | SaveSave | Hear Generate QR Code QR
Send to Kindle


FLINT, Mich. -- What was supposed to be a heartwarming family Christmas gathering turned into mind-numbing tragedy Tuesday in Flint, where an 11-year-old boy and a couple died of what is believed to be accidental carbon monoxide poisoning.


According to Flint police, an old, poorly ventilated fireplace may have been the source of the toxic gas that killed 43-year-old Troy Edwards, 37-year-old Senena Carranza and her 11-year-old son, Jason Cobbin.


Police said they received a 911 call Tuesday morning from Carranza's sister, who had woken up to use the bathroom in the same home and found her sister unresponsive on the floor of her bedroom. Edwards also was unresponsive in his bed, they said.


The sister then checked on Jason, who also was unresponsive in his bedroom, they said.


When paramedics arrived at the home, Carranza and Edwards were pronounced dead at the scene. The boy was rushed to Hurley Medical Center, where he died shortly after.


They were using an old fireplace, that may have been the source of it, said Flint Police Sgt. Steven Wheeler, who added that emergency personnel opened the windows at the home upon arrival.


Wheeler said Carranza has a teenage daughter who was not at home at the time of the incident.


Shortly after police and paramedics responded to the scene, friends and relatives flooded the Facebook page of the Flint Police Operations with condolences.


I cannot even process this right now. This was one of my closest friends and I'm really at a loss for words right now, wrote Lori Belknap.


Max Carranza, Carranza's cousin, wrote: My prayers for my first cousin and her family, please guide them to the heavens.


Another commenter wrote: What a tragedy. An entire family lost on Christmas day!!!! Kinda sheds new light on the start to my morning!!!!


Edwards' father, Roy Reeves, was among several family members and friends who showed up at the Foss home Tuesday, where they were supposed to meet for a Christmas dinner, according to the Flint Journal. Instead, the paper reported, they removed Christmas presents that had been gift-wrapped for children.


I'm numb -- I have a very numb feeling right now, Reeves told the Flint Journal. It's hard for me to describe it. We usually come over here every Christmas.


In a separate incident, the Macomb County Sheriff's Office said two people died of apparent carbon monoxide poisoning Monday in Bruce Township.




Comments
comments powered by Disqus Commenting Guidelines
Poll
Mortgage Minute


Search for New & Used Cars

Make 
Model
 
Used New All
 

Search Times Leader Classifieds to find just the home you want!

Search Times Leader Classifieds to find just what you need!

Search Pet Classifieds
Dogs Cats Other Animals



Social Media/RSS
Times Leader on Twitter
Times Leader on Youtube
Times Leader on Google+
The Times Leader on Tumblr
The Times Leader on Pinterest
Times Leader RSS Feeds