Students in grades three through six celebrated National Popcorn Day at the Abington Community Library Jan. 19 with popcorn tasting, popcorn ball making, and popcorn games.
Popcorn trivia was presented:
* The average American eats 204 cups of popcorn annually.
* One cup of oil-popped popcorn contains 48 calories.
* Anthropologist found popcorn ears in the bat caves of New Mexico they believed to be 5,600 years old.
* When popping popcorn on the stovetop, it's best to use vegetable oil, rather than butter.
* According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the largest popcorn ball ever weighed 5,000 pounds.
Find more popcorn trivia, games and information online at popcorn.org.
If you missed out on the fun, you can still make some popcorn balls on your own with these easy steps found on Page 12.