DALLAS - Scott Vencil from Crabtree, Rohrbaugh & Associates Architects presented the board with the initial assessment on the structural and engineering aspects of the Dallas schools at Monday night's meeting.
In his proposal he included a projection of future student populations up to 2020. They presented the analysis, possible problem areas and possible solutions including the idea of renovating or demolishing the current modular constructions from 1972 on Dallas Elementary.
Board members said they would review the information thoroughly and would share it with the public in detail at the December meeting.
Dallas High School Principal Jeffrey Shaffer then presented the new scheduling arrangements that the school hopes to have a preliminary course outline prepared for in January. The schedule will change the classes from 72 minutes to 44-minute blocks and would change the school day from five periods to eight. After discussions last week with the Parent Advisory Committee the information will be placed online for parent review.
The board took a 15-minute intermission when President Catherine Wega became ill suddenly. Wega did not rejoin the meeting.
The board heard from John Delamater on the status of the school's lacrosse teams. Delamater asked that the school help with fields and transportation for the upcoming season.
Superintendent Frank Galicki said that the school would be providing at least one field this season and would have to take measurements to see if any other fields are acceptable for the sport.
School Board member Dr. Richard Coslett opened the meeting with a brief speech honoring our veterans. It included a video montage, a song entitled Chicken Fried by Zac Brown Band and a moment of silence for those that were lost.
In other business, the board:
• Authorized Diana Alichnie to attend the School-to-Career Connection Integrated Learning Conference in State College for Nov. 7-9 at a cost of $680.
• Adopted a resolution to pay Metz & Associates LTD $106,581.82 for the total meals served to the district.
• Approved the list of personnel and students for submitted field trips through May 2013.
• Approved volunteers for Wycallis Elementary.
• Approved all payments and reports from the finance committee.
• Authorized a daily increase in hours for two part-time employees.
• Approved the coaches for the cheerleading squad and a freshman class advisor.
The next Dallas School Board meeting will be held Dec. 10 at 7 p.m. in the administration building.