Thursday, July 24, 2014





CDC: Language barrier caused chlorine gas leak


February 19. 2013 8:52PM
Story Tools
PrintPrint | E-MailEMail | SaveSave | Hear Generate QR Code QR
Send to Kindle


(AP) The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says a chlorine gas leak at an Arkansas poultry plant last year that sickened nearly 200 people occurred because a worker couldn't read English.


The CDC said in a report released Thursday that a Spanish-speaking worker at the Tyson Foods plant in Springdale knew not to mix sodium hypochlorite with an acid but couldn't read the label on a container of chemicals that had been misplaced.


Tyson Foods disputes the report. Spokesman Gary Mickelson says the worker wasn't Hispanic and that a language issue wasn't to blame. He didn't say why the accident happened.


The health agency recommends that U.S. industries take steps to better train workers and says warning labels should be tailored to workers' languages and educational levels.


Associated Press


Comments
comments powered by Disqus Commenting Guidelines
Poll
Mortgage Minute


Search for New & Used Cars

Make 
Model
 
Used New All
 

Search Times Leader Classifieds to find just the home you want!

Search Times Leader Classifieds to find just what you need!

Search Pet Classifieds
Dogs Cats Other Animals



Social Media/RSS
Times Leader on Twitter
Times Leader on Youtube
Times Leader on Google+
The Times Leader on Tumblr
The Times Leader on Pinterest
Times Leader RSS Feeds