Last updated: February 16. 2013 8:13AM - 717 Views

Story Tools:

Font Size:

Social Media:

WILKES-BARRE ‚?? Details in the arrest affidavit for James Rankin, who was shot by a city police officer, say it took police about 50 minutes to arrive at a reported home invasion after the first call was made to Luzerne County 911 Monday morning.

Police arrived at 251 Kidder St. at 4:20 a.m. and had trouble finding the correct apartment from which the call to 911 originated at about 3:30 a.m. Police discovered the correct apartment after hearing ‚??a commotion‚?Ě from apartment 8, according to the criminal complaint.

As soon as police encountered the tenants, Naeem Ford and Margarita Martinez, state police at Wyoming allege Rankin jumped out of a rear window and over a porch railing.

Rankin refused commands to stop running and city police chased him to Scott Street, where he ran around an apartment building and was confronted by police in the area of Laurel Street and Jenkins Lane.

State police allege Rankin refused to show his hands and was ‚??taken to the ground‚?Ě by Officer (John) Majikes, the criminal complaint says.

Rankin got up and made suspicious hand movements, reaching toward his waistband when Majikes fired, striking Rankin in the torso area, according to the complaint.

Rankin underwent surgery at Wilkes-Barre General Hospital, where he is recovering. His mother, Mary Lee Lawson, said the shooting left her son paralyzed from the waist down.

Luzerne County District Attorney Stefanie Salavantis said the investigation by state police cleared Majikes of any wrongdoing.

State police allege Rankin was discarding items while being chased that he stole from the apartment, including a cellphone, photographs and insurance cards.

Ford told police he was awakened when Rankin forced his way into the apartment. Ford said Rankin stunned him with a Taser and kicked his leg on which he recently had surgery, the complaint says.

Martinez said Rankin stunned her with a Taser and punched her about 20 times.

Lawson said Rankin arrived in Wilkes-Barre on Saturday to spend the weekend with her other son, David Hines, 29, who was arrested at the same apartment building by city police at about 4:10 Saturday afternoon.

Hines was wanted by state parole agents on a violation of a sentence imposed in Blair County in 2007, according to court records.

He did not have possession of a gun when arrested, but it still is unclear whether a Taser was recovered at or near the crime scene.

Lawson said Hines stayed in a room in the apartment building, and Rankin returned to the apartment Monday morning to retrieve personal belongings.

‚??It‚??s a bad situation,‚?Ě Lawson said. ‚??James didn‚??t do no home invasion. His brother rented a room there.‚?Ě

Ford and Martinez could not be reached for comment on Thursday.

Rankin was arraigned in the hospital by District Judge Joseph Carmody of West Pittston on charges of aggravated assault, robbery, theft, resisting arrest and prohibited use of an electronic device. Bail was set at $100,000.

Hines is jailed at the State Correctional Institution at Dallas. City police charged Hines with possession of a controlled substance when he was allegedly found with marijuana and crack cocaine, according to the criminal complaint.

Martinez said Rankin stunned her with a Taser and punched her about 20 times.

comments powered by Disqus

Featured Businesses


Info Minute

Gas Prices

Wilkes-Barre Gas Prices provided by GasBuddy.com