INDIANAPOLIS — The search for what caused a massive, deadly explosion that rocked an Indianapolis neighborhood turned to natural gas Monday, with officials checking gas lines and a homeowner saying a problem furnace could be to blame.
The National Transportation Safety Board sent investigators to check gas main and other lines serving the neighborhood where two people were killed and seven injured in the weekend blast. Local gas supplier Citizens Energy said it also was checking gas lines and a meter at the home that exploded.
But officials cautioned that it was too soon to rule out other causes, saying only that they do not believe a meth lab was to blame for the explosion that obliterated two homes and severely damaged dozens of others.
It's too early to speculate that this might have been caused by a gas leak, Citizens Energy spokeswoman Sarah Holsapple said.
The owner of one of the homes that was destroyed said there was a problem with the furnace in the last few weeks.
John Shirley, 50, of Noblesville said he received a text message within the last week and a half from his daughter, who complained that the furnace in the home where she lived with her mother and her mother's boyfriend had broken. The malfunction had forced them to stay in a hotel, the girl said.
When Shirley asked if the furnace had been fixed, his daughter said yes. He said he wasn't aware of any additional problems until he heard from his daughter again Sunday morning.
I get a text from my daughter saying ‘Dad, our home is gone.' Then I called my ex-wife and she said what happened, he said.
Scott Davis, president and principal engineer of GexCon US, an explosion investigation firm, questioned whether a furnace could cause the type of damage seen. Furnaces have multiple safety triggers that prevent them from releasing that much natural gas.
For a furnace to allow that much gas through, you'd have to defeat many of the safety features, he said.
Investigators said it could be some time before they determine a cause for the blast that sparked a massive fire, blew out windows, collapsed ceilings and shook homes miles away.
Public Safety Director Troy Riggs said the area will be treated as a crime scene until foul play is ruled out.
The blast forced about 200 people out of their homes.
Adam Collins, the city's deputy code enforcement director, said 29 homes remained uninhabitable Monday.