PLAINS TWP. – A car thief led police on a high-speed chase from the township to Scranton before crashing the vehicle and fleeing Tuesday night.
Township police Sgt. Dave Abraham said police received a report at about 7:20 p.m. that an unknown man stole the car of a man who left the engine running when he went into the China Garden restaurant at 15 S. Main St.
The thief fled north on Interstate 81 in the 2001 Acura, leading police from several departments in Luzerne and Lackawanna counties on a chase at speeds in excess of 100 mph, Abraham said.
The thief crashed the vehicle on the Central Scranton Expressway, which is at Exit 185 off the interstate, and fled on foot, Abraham said.
No description of the thief was available.
The victim, whose name was not immediately available, was from New York, Abraham said.
SCRANTON – A federal grand jury on Tuesday issued an indictment against Kevin Andre Parks, no address listed, charging him with robbing the First National Community Bank in Hazleton on Sept. 7.
According to the indictment, Parks escaped with $3,339 from the bank, located on West Broad Street.
HANOVER TWP. – Township police reported the following incidents:
• John Chopyak, of 1st Street, Plymouth, reported to police that his wife's gold wedding band has been missing since Nov. 1 while she was a patient at the Hampton House in Hanover Township.
PLAINS TWP. – Plains Township police reported:
• On Friday at 5:35 p.m. ,officers responded to an activated burglar alarm at Leoderetti's Service Station on Route 315.
Witnesses reported observing a woman running from the scene into a residence at 217 Ridgewood Road. Police said they arrested the resident, Jennifer Wisniewski, on allegations of burglary, theft, criminal mischief, criminal trespass and criminal attempt. Wisniewski admitted to smashing a garage window with a hammer and stealing coins, police said. She was taken to District Judge Donald Whittaker in Nanticoke for arraignment and lodged in county prison in lieu of $75,000 bail.
• On Saturday, Richard Krokus of Grace Drive reported that someone stole his ladder that was in his back yard.
• On Saturday, Rita Warabak of East Mountain Ridge Trailer Park reported that someone burglarized her trailer while she was not home. She reported coins/cash and electronic items were taken.
• On Monday, Leonard Griglock of East Mountain Ridge Trailer Park also reported that someone entered his trailer through a rear door window and removed coins.