WILKES-BARRE – David Toney told a judge he didn't intend to hurt anyone when he fired multiple gunshots into occupied houses in Wilkes-Barre.
Luzerne County Judge Tina Polacheck Gartley told Toney, 21, that he was fortunate no children in the two homes were injured.
Toney was sentenced Friday to three years, six months to seven years in state prison for a crime spree that involved shooting up the houses and burglarizing another house in Mountain Top.
I know what I was doing was wrong. I never intended to hurt nobody, Toney told Gartley. Thank God nobody got hurt. I have a (17-month-old) daughter I'd like to get back to. I'm sorry.
Toney was sentenced for the following:
• Sept. 12, 2008: Burglarized a house on Harley Drive, Fairview Township, stealing jewelry and two video cameras.
• Nov. 15, 2008: Fired multiple shots into the house on Regent Street that was occupied by two adults and two children. Two bullets were recovered, in a living room and in a bedroom where a sleeping infant boy was covered in shattered glass.
• Sept. 21, 2010: State police said Toney was in possession of a laptop computer stolen during a home burglary in Wright Township.
• Dec. 14, 2010: Fired multiple shots into a South Empire Court house occupied by seven people, including Jerome Sharr, a woman pregnant with Toney's unborn child and three children. Toney had a dispute with Sharr, who was dating the pregnant woman at the time.
My son, he's a good kid, Toney's mother, Sue, told Gartley before the judge imposed the sentence. I love him with all my heart. He's made mistakes; he's very remorseful. He got mixed up in the wrong crowd. I hope you can show him leniency.
In both of those houses, there were little children present when those guns were fired, Gartley said. The danger that you placed those children in was horrific.
Gartley ordered the sentence to begin after Toney completes a one-year federal sentence that ends in July 2013 for his role with Sharr in stealing firearms from a gun store in Monroe County.
Sharr was sentenced earlier this year to two years in federal prison for the Monroe County gun thefts, and nine years, nine months to 19 years for multiple burglaries in the area and the drive-by shooting on Regent Street.