Saturday, July 12, 2014





Neglect, errors to blame in club fire


February 20. 2013 4:02AM
Story Tools
PrintPrint | E-MailEMail | SaveSave | Hear Generate QR Code QR
Send to Kindle


SANTA MARIA, Brazil — There was no fire alarm. There were no sprinklers or fire escapes. And when a band member tried to put out a fire started by pyrotechnics, the extinguisher didn't work.


All the elements were in place for the tragedy at the Kiss nightclub early Sunday. The result was the world's worst fire of its kind in more than a decade, with 231 people dead and this southern Brazilian city in shock and mourning.


Funerals began on Monday, as reports continued to emerge about the accumulation of neglect and errors at the packed night spot.


Brazilian police said they detained three people in connection with the blaze, while the newspaper O Globo said on its website that a fourth person had surrendered to police. Police Inspector Ranolfo Vieira Junior said the detentions were part of the police probe and those detained can be held for up to five days.


Vieira declined to identify those detained, but the Brazilian newspaper Zero Hora quotes lawyer Jader Marques saying his client Elissandro Spohr, a co-owner of the club, had been held.


The paper said police also detained two members of the band that was performing when the blaze broke out in this university town of about 260,000 people. The band's guitarist told Brazilian media he saw flames lick the ceiling after the group's spark machine was deployed.


More than 100 remained hospitalized for smoke, officials said. Paulo Afonso Beltrame, a doctor helping coordinate the response, said he was optimistic those injured would pull through.


It's impossible to predict what will happen, because they are all in a very delicate state, but there's hope for all of them, said Beltrame, adding that more than 40 survivors had been sent to neighboring cities for treatment of burns and smoke inhalation. One of the problems we're having here is that all these people need to be on respirators, and we don't have enough respirators in the city.


Funeral services were held for several of the 231 victims, most of them college students 18 to 21 years old. Some of the victims were minors. Most died from smoke inhalation rather than burns.


Initial reports suggested the tragedy was the result of a series of failures. Police have said they think the pyrotechnics ignited flammable sound insulation on the ceiling.


Other witnesses said security guards who didn't know about the blaze initially blocked people from leaving without paying their bills. Brazilian bars make patrons pay their entire tab at night's end before they're allowed to leave. Many of the dead were found in the club's bathrooms, where blinding smoke caused them to believe the doors were exits.


Rodrigo Martins, a guitarist for the group Gurizada Fandangueira, told Globo TV network in an interview Monday that the flames broke out minutes after the deployment of a pyrotechnic machine that fans out colored sparks, about 2:30 a.m. local time.




Comments
comments powered by Disqus Commenting Guidelines
Poll
Mortgage Minute


Search for New & Used Cars

Make 
Model
 
Used New All
 

Search Times Leader Classifieds to find just the home you want!

Search Times Leader Classifieds to find just what you need!

Search Pet Classifieds
Dogs Cats Other Animals



Social Media/RSS
Times Leader on Twitter
Times Leader on Youtube
Times Leader on Google+
The Times Leader on Tumblr
The Times Leader on Pinterest
Times Leader RSS Feeds