Last updated: February 19. 2013 1:06PM - 372 Views

Story Tools:

Font Size:

Social Media:

NANTICOKE – A gas leak prompted the evacuation of three homes in the city early Sunday evening.

UGI Utilities spokesman Don Brominski said the gas had to be shut off at 6:29 p.m. at a home on East Main Street and the neighboring homes were evacuated as crews worked to repair the leak.

By 10 p.m., Brominski said, temporary repairs have been made, people have been returned to their homes and we will return in the morning to do permanent repairs.

The leak was outside the home, and Brominski said he didn't know if any gas had seeped into the house.

WILKES-BARRE -- Police are looking for a white male suspected of holding up the Turkey Hill Store in the 600 block of Carey Avenue around 7:15 a.m. Sunday. The man is described as wearing a gray hood, black jeans, dark hat, white sneakers and dark gloves, and had black cloth covering his face. He was armed with a semi-automatic handgun.

According to the police report, the man walked into the back room where the clerk was, pointed a gun at the clerk and told him to fill a bag with money. The suspect fled the store towards Division Street. Anyone with information should call Wilkes-Barre Police at 826-8106.

HAZLETON -- A 20-year-old woman was arrested after a high-speed chase that ended at the corner of Fern and Diamond Avenue late Saturday. According to the report, police tried a traffic stop around 10:16 p.m. as Marlene Sanchez drove a 2000 Ford Expedition. She traveled at high speeds through city streets before being stopped by a cruiser, police said.

Police say Ecstasy pills were found inside the vehicle. She was charged with driving under the influence, possession of drugs and drug paraphernalia, fleeing and eluding, and more than 40 traffic violations, and was lodged at Luzerne County Correctional Facility.

State police at the Hazleton barracks also announced they are investigating the use of legal intervention to terminate a high-speed vehicle pursuit in the arrest of Sanchez. The investigation came at the request of Halzeton Police Chief Frank DeAndrea. State police said three parked vehicles were damaged in the chase.

PLYMOUTH – Police said they arrested a woman who allegedly pointed and fired an airsoft pistol at a borough police officer early Saturday morning.

Police said they responded to a report of shots fired at 5:55 a.m. Saturday.

It was later determined the weapon the woman was carrying was an airsoft pistol, a replica gun that fires plastic pellets, police said.

The woman was taken to Wilkes-Barre General Hospital for a mental evaluation, police said.

All user comments are subject to our Terms of Service. Users may flag inappropriate comments.
comments powered by Disqus

Featured Businesses


Info Minute

Gas Prices

Wilkes-Barre Gas Prices provided by GasBuddy.com