DALLAS – The Weis Markets along Route 415 was closed for about three hours Wednesday after it was evacuated around 10:45 a.m. when smoke was reported in the store's ceiling.
Dennis Curtin, a spokesman for the Sunbury-based grocery chain, said a sprinkler burst in the store's vestibule.
The water then short circuited some electrical wires, which caused smoke.
Fire crews from multiple Back Mountain departments were dispatched to the store for what was initially reported as a fire, but Curtin said there were no flames.
He did not know why the pipe burst and he said damage to the building was minimal.
He said the employees threw out some food near the area that had the water leaking as a precaution, and the store reopened by 2 p.m. using the exit door as an entrance way as well.
Curtin said the value of the food that was thrown out was several hundred dollars.
Dozens of shoppers and employees were asked to leave the store as fire crews arrived on scene and identified the cause.
Because it happened in the mid-morning, Curtin said, it was a relatively quiet time.