NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. (AP) — The Latest on shark sightings off Southern California (all times local):
A 52-year-old woman attacked by a shark last week in California is all smiles in a photograph taken as she recovers from a large bite wound that extends from her shoulder to her pelvis.
Orange County Global Medical Center provided the photo on Monday to The Associated Press.
It shows Maria Korcsmaros grinning in her hospital bed, a cast covering nearly the entire length of her right arm.
Doctors said Korcsmaros — a mom and triathlete — is expected to recover from the bite sustained May 29 at Corona Del Mar State Beach. The shark that attacked her was not found.
A two-mile stretch of beach remains closed after several large sharks were spotted over the weekend.
A two-mile stretch of Orange County shoreline remains closed after several large sharks were spotted.
A sheriff’s helicopter crew saw the sharks off Sunset Beach in the city of Huntington Beach on Sunday afternoon. The sharks were estimated to be at least 8 feet long and 150 yards from shore.
The Huntington Beach Fire Department says Sunset Beach and the adjoining Surfside Beach in Seal Beach will remain closed until at least Monday morning. Closures following a shark sighting typically last between 12 to 24 hours.
The sighting came a week after a swimmer was attacked by a shark about 15 miles to the south at Corona Del Mar State Beach.
The woman suffered a large bite, but is expected to survive. The shark that attacked her was not found.