First Posted: 12/26/2012
RANSOM TWP. – At its Dec. 17 meeting, the Ransom Township Planning Commission voted unanimously to extend its deadline for review of the development plans for Ransom Recreational Shooting Sports, LLC until August. 21, 2013.
The extension request was tabled at the board’s previous meetings Oct. 15 and Nov. 19, due to an unresolved billing dispute with Ransom Recreational Shooting Sports, LLC.
According to the township, the business owes money for engineering services regarding a rifle range development planned for 1500 Ransom Road. For an unspecified reason, however, invoices were not sent to the developer until they were several months outstanding. After receiving them, Ransom Recreational Shooting Sports, LLC Manager Andrew Massimilian expressed doubt that the full amount requested was legitimately owed.
The Planning Commission decided at the Oct. 15 meeting to hold off on moving forward with the submitted plans until the billing dispute was resolved. Massimilian protested this decision, stating Section 506 of the Municipal Planning Code makes it illegal for the board to delay or deny the application based on the billing dispute.
Residents in attendance at the Dec. 17 meeting questioned the board’s vote to extend the deadline in light of the fact that the billing dispute remains unresolved.
Planning Commission Attorney Donna DeVita explained the board is simply granting an extension, not making any kind of decision for or against the plans. She also noted there is a provision under the Municipal Planning Code to bring the dispute to an arbitrator if an agreement can not be reached.
I think we’re kind of chasing our tails, she said. He [Massimilian] is saying he needs more information from John [Seamans, twp. engineer] before he responds, and we have to address that first.
Massimilian was told at previous meetings to submit a list of specific charges he is contesting from the bills and was advised to contact Seamans for details in answer to questions on certain charges. According to Massimilian, he sent two letters to Seamans since then, to which, at the time of the meeting, he had not received a reply.
Seamans said he did receive the letters, but their deliveries were delayed, due to them being sent to the wrong mailing address. He said when he received them, he turned the letters over to the township supervisors for review, as he works for the township, not Ransom Recreational Shooting Sports, LLC.
Planning Commission member Lisa Levan asked Massimilian about the content of those letters, and he said they include general backup information to his claims.
Seamans responded, It’s all bogus backup information…an attempt to delay, delay, delay.
Massimilian then challenged him, saying that’s only his opinion and he should be able to back up his own bills.
I work for the township, Andy, I don’t work for you, Seamans said. I turned the documentation over to the township. They will address it.
Massimilian was later instructed to send future correspondence directly to the township and nothing was resolved in regard to the billing dispute.
In other business, it was noted that there was nothing new to discuss in regard to the Merkel subdivision request.
No items were discussed under the Public Comment section of the agenda.